• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Explosion in Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Prime Minister Theresa May said soldiers are being placed at Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, embassies and the Palace of Westminster to support armed police in protecting the public."

I don't get this sentence (taken from the beeb), how is that protecting the public? More like protecting the elite.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      "Prime Minister Theresa May said soldiers are being placed at Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, embassies and the Palace of Westminster to support armed police in protecting the public."

I don't get this sentence (taken from the beeb), how is that protecting the public? More like protecting the elite.
      The Military are protecting high risk locations which will be protected as a matter of standard, the police officers who are usually stationed there can be deployed else where.
      Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
        The Military are protecting high risk locations which will be protected as a matter of standard, the police officers who are usually stationed there can be deployed else where.
        It seems to me none of those locations have been targeted by terrorists them past 20 years, instead usually softer targets.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Probably not a solution for terrorists but on the wider issue of refugees, Why can't we have an internationally administered territory where all the world's displaced peoples can go? I'm talking about somewhere with good infrastructure, healthcare etc where people could have a reasonable standard of living.

Then we wouldn't have any of the discord associated with influxes of large numbers of people from incompatible cultures to the west.

I'd be happy if my tax money went towards funding something like that.
          Have a google about the history of Israel, displaced people ultimately want to go back to their own home, and what about the people currently living in the dream territory?

Secondly what makes you think all displaced people get along together, this magical shangri la will quickly turn to chaos as disrupters try to exploit any given situation
          Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

A couple of soldiers at each tube and railway station would be a powerful symbol and offer a bit more cover to the general public.

Nice to see London protected, what about Hartlepool?
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

It seems to me none of those locations have been targeted by terrorists them past 20 years, instead usually softer targets.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Westminster_attack

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                A couple of soldiers at each tube and railway station would be a powerful symbol and offer a bit more cover to the general public.

Nice to see London protected, what about Hartlepool?
                Even a terrorist will do a cost benefit analysis. In Hartlepool the cost of the bomb would outweigh the possible damage it could do!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  1)stop funding salafist mosques
                  2)stop salafist mosques receiving funds from Saudi
                  Closing the mosque will not do anything, look at what happened to Finsbury Park Mosque, they just preached out in the street, all you would do is move the problem elsewhere.

You might be on to something with the money aspect, but again it's very easy for the source of funds to be hidden.

Real change will only happen by engaging with the imans, and the community so they themselves root out the bad apples, all the talk about deporting, killing, arresting muslims will not help when the key allies we have are the people we are tarring with the same brush as the madmen

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    Well it's the outside bit that I've always thought will become the focus of tighter security to add to all of our woes
                    There will always be outside and inside security zones, the problem with creating a security bottleneck is that you create a concentration of people in the outside zone. Any crazed suicide attacker wishing to inflict maximum damage to civilians doesn't need to go through security. Additional security doesn't stop an attack under these circumstances.

Comment

Well the soldiers are on the streets now, wonder what the next step will be? The terrorists seem to be winning this one by curtailing your freedoms...
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X