• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Explosion in Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Fairy land logic to.
    No it's life experience that's different from yours.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      No it's life experience that's different from yours.
      Maybe, but it could be to do with brain structure (which itself may or may not be innate). Research suggest that conservatives' (to use out American cousins' terms) brains may be more attuned to fear and liberals' brains may help liberals cope better with complexity.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...in-study-finds

It's an interesting topic.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        I have drunk and smoked hashish with Muslims in India, Pakistan and Morocco.
        Always hidden and always within their business premises or house.

That was back in the late 1980's.
        They were probably not very observant muslims but had to maintain an illusion of piousness just to lead a hassle free life.

I've known plenty of muslims like that & got on fine with them.

The really pious ones, on the other hand, are another kettle of fish altogether.

I remember working with one lad from a Pakistani background on a project in Jeddah (he was on site there while I was a BA back in London). Before he went he was just somebody into the normal things in life but each time I saw him over the 18 months of the project he had got more into the religion, done Umrah, grown a beard & had become very standoffish to the point of not wishing to have any contact with any of his colleagues other than on a professional level. And this was the son of 2 doctors; hardly what I'd caqll vulnerable to brainwashing but something had obviously got to him while he was out there.

Comment

Originally posted by MeMeMe1966 View Post
          +1

added advantage of clearing out huge % of the prisoner population.

Australia would support it. They've gone from strength to strength since inception so there is a working track record for this idea.

I suppose it won't happen for ISIS due to the barbaric nature of their ways meaning no civilised government would officially support it. Even if put to the UN some nation would find reason to veto it.

Not sure what else would potentially work when the root of the problem is cultural with hardliners not wanting to integrate with westernised culture but conquer it.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            Probably not a solution for terrorists but on the wider issue of refugees, Why can't we have an internationally administered territory where all the world's displaced peoples can go? I'm talking about somewhere with good infrastructure, healthcare etc where people could have a reasonable standard of living.

Then we wouldn't have any of the discord associated with influxes of large numbers of people from incompatible cultures to the west.

I'd be happy if my tax money went towards funding something like that.
            Ahh, the Madagascar Plan?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              I think you would be surprised how many Muslims drink and have drunk historically. This is a fun example:

Taybeh Oktoberfest | Taybeh Brewing Company

The growth of fundamentalism does, however, seem to have changed the disposition of many Muslims towards alcohol.

Incidentally, went to see Ireland vs Pakistan at Malahide last year and there were a good few Pakistan supporters knocking back the stout while the locals and folk from NI were munching down the Pakistani food. It's things like this that make me optimistic.
              Malahide not NI Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                There is no liberal solution to this problem. You are dealing with bullies. You must use force. We are at war, you send in your men who don't mind getting their hands dirty, to the front line. The time has come to stop talking and take direct action i'm afraid. You think the mancs are going to take this on the chin- I doubt it. Expect physical invasion of known extremist mosques by the weekend.
                That's not how we got peace in Northern Ireland...
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Are you saying that the British government should continue arming ISIS and then fighting them?
                  The first thing to do is to stop arming them. But that means the Tory government must go. No ifs no buts.
                  People who are voting Tory are saying that they are happy for ISIS to be supplied weapons from the UK.
                  + 1000

Labour are the only ones who pledged to stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia. Some things are more important than the economy and money - out children's lives.

Comment

If any of you are serious about stopping Terrorism then you can't vote Tory and we all need to campaign for Labour....

Saudi is the root of the problem and until that is addressed there will be more killing on our streets and in Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      I suppose it won't happen for ISIS due to the barbaric nature of their ways meaning no civilised government would officially support it. Even if put to the UN some nation would find reason to veto it.

I'm not sure if you need to support them to recognise them as a country? From a quasi legal standpoint if they were a country we recognised then we could officially declare war the next time they took credit for a terrorist attack, and presumably as they attacked us it would be UN legal?

After a suitable interlude of mini-war (current air bombing) during which we deported all POW/traitors etc. to them, we could then enter an uneasy peace or continue on a war footing (whatever one got us attacked the least).

Comment

Working...
                      X