• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cut through lawnmower cable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I agree with Troll and NAT.

Block connectors (as posted by Sal) should never be used as a fix for cables, if pulled it could cause a short or even electrocution. If a cable has to be re-joined then it should be spiced and staggered so that no two wires can be pulled in the same position. Each splice is then separately insulated. The electricity supply companies use that method when fixing cables under the road.
    Looks like most of the advice given has been worth what the OP paid for it and in addition could have also put his life at risk.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
      Speaking of garden equipment... I tried to jet wash part of the patio yesterday, it used an awful lot of water, and took forever, I have the Kercher K2 ... just with the washer gun. Do I need to buy that round part to clean the stone patio? Would it waste a lot of water as well?
      Yes - they work like a dream. If you do use the lance, make sure that you use the one which has a tiny ball-bearing in the tip and not the "vario-lance"
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Yes, happened yesterday - cable tangled up, mower went over it and sliced straight through. Am I looking at a new mower or what are options for making good again ?

And then 3 hr trip home tonight, when it should have taken 1 hr.

What lies in store for me tomorrow...?
        Rejoin the cable, and SOLDER it. Before you connect the wires before soldering, I would strongly advise you to slip good quality heatshrink tubing over one cut end, so that you can seal the join properly.

Once you have rejoined it, you should have the first metre or so of the end of the power cable closest to the mower going up to the handle, loosely tied with a cable tie, in a small loop (so that it can't get chomped), - it will also act as a "strain relief".
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

You could just replace the entire cable. Cable is cheap enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
            Speaking of garden equipment... I tried to jet wash part of the patio yesterday, it used an awful lot of water, and took forever, I have the Kercher K2 ... just with the washer gun. Do I need to buy that round part to clean the stone patio? Would it waste a lot of water as well?
            Funnily enough I pressure washed our driveway the other day too and it took a while - you need a high pressure lance to get anywhere. The normal lance with the fan shaped spray is fine for washing a car but no good for cleaning a patio/driveway.

Mind you, if your patio is that dirty you're better off getting somebody to come and clean it for you with a petrol pressure washer, then keep it maintained yourself with your own pressure washer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Funnily enough I pressure washed our driveway the other day too and it took a while - you need a high pressure lance to get anywhere. The normal lance with the fan shaped spray is fine for washing a car but no good for cleaning a patio/driveway.

Mind you, if your patio is that dirty you're better off getting somebody to come and clean it for you with a petrol pressure washer, then keep it maintained yourself with your own pressure washer.
              Biological washing powder water and s sweeping brush will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Don't be a wuss, mending a severed cable that is not connected to the mains hence no chance of electrocuting yourself is easy, get one of these + insulation tape or even better what NaT suggested with proper water proofing. All you need is a small knife to cut the cable neatly and expose the wires on the 2 ends and a screw driver. This is how it's done by electricians, not a botch.
                Personally I'd skip the chocblock and get a wago screwless connector - they are maintenance free and no chance of them coming loose if they are in an appropriate housing with cable strain relief. If you use a screw terminal, make sure its tightened to the appropriate torque and rated appropriately as a loose connection/undersized connector = heat = fire/melting.

Screwfix sell a starter kit with various connectors.

Edit: I also agree with the others who've said you're better off replacing the entire length of flex rather than trying to re-join the cable.
                Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 23 May 2017, 10:47.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Biological washing powder water and s sweeping brush will do the trick.
                  It never worked for scooters Mum
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'd attach the new cable to the handle anyway so the junction is never under any tension.

Waterproofing is nice but should you be using an electric mower in the rain in the first place?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      No different from using a block. Just protected - and already a waterproof cover was suggested
                      Nope - the cable clamps at the entrance grip the cable so tugging doesn't transmit to the actual connection wires - same as found in any 13a plug in blighty
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X