• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cut through lawnmower cable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't be a wuss, mending a severed cable that is not connected to the mains hence no chance of electrocuting yourself is easy, get one of these + insulation tape or even better what NaT suggested with proper water proofing. All you need is a small knife to cut the cable neatly and expose the wires on the 2 ends and a screw driver. This is how it's done by electricians, not a botch.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You can get a small (waterproof) connector at your local DIY store. Trim the wires either end of the break, connect it all up. Easy. Plugs just unplug all the time. But I go with Troll on this one. Get a petrol mower. You'll never regret it if your garden is of any size at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Yes that's what I was thinking as the easiest option. However I have sliced near the top of the mower and so would probably need to carry the extension unit around with me !
      You could just buy something like this and hard-wire it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004I5BQ1A

Or get a 15m extension reel and affix it to the handles, then you have a way to store your cable conveniently.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

For anyone wanting to improve their DIY skills in a safe place check this place out ... its in London, and I have been to it on some courses, mainly the drilling course... but I would be interested in going back to do their basic plumbing, electric and lock fitting courses

https://www.thegoodlifecentre.co.uk/...SAAEgL1vvD_BwE

They have many other workshops like woodwork and restoring furniture etc..

Its a really nice workshop environment, I was always scared of drills before going there !!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
          For anyone wanting to improve their DIY skills in a safe place check this place out ... its in London, and I have been to it on some courses, mainly the drilling course... but I would be interested in going back to do their basic plumbing, electric and lock fitting courses

https://www.thegoodlifecentre.co.uk/...SAAEgL1vvD_BwE

They have many other workshops like woodwork and restoring furniture etc..

Its a really nice workshop environment, I was always scared of drills before going there !!
          Quite fancy that one. With plumbing, car fixing and electric I've got by with manuals. With the electric I'd read the manual several times and use a tester to check it's safe to proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Don't be a wuss, mending a severed cable that is not connected to the mains hence no chance of electrocuting yourself is easy, get one of these + insulation tape or even better what NaT suggested with proper water proofing. All you need is a small knife to cut the cable neatly and expose the wires on the 2 ends and a screw driver. This is how it's done by electricians, not a botch.

Not really a solution as it doesn't take into account any pulling on the cable which over time will fracture the wires - better to use one of these for stress relief

or

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Not really a solution as it doesn't take into account any pulling on the cable which over time will fracture the wires - better to use one of these for stress relief

or

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Perv
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

No different from using a block. Just protected - and already a waterproof cover was suggested
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                    Speaking of garden equipment... I tried to jet wash part of the patio yesterday, it used an awful lot of water, and took forever, I have the Kercher K2 ... just with the washer gun. Do I need to buy that round part to clean the stone patio? Would it waste a lot of water as well?
                    The round brush will not do as good a job, unless it's just surface dirt. Yes, they do use a lot of water, that's kinda the point of them. I've a Nilfisk C130. After 2 years the hose wore through, so I replaced it with an industrial hose which is longer and better.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

or

I agree with Troll and NAT.

Block connectors (as posted by Sal) should never be used as a fix for cables, if pulled it could cause a short or even electrocution. If a cable has to be re-joined then it should be spiced and staggered so that no two wires can be pulled in the same position. Each splice is then separately insulated. The electricity supply companies use that method when fixing cables under the road.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X