• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More Daily Mail Anti-Europe Rhetoric

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It could actually be a benefit to the health of the nation. If the UK stops importing cheap meat from abroad and only buys British, ...
    There's still the Commonwealth. For example, I think most of our lamb is imported from New Zealand.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      As Patient Zero is a Pig in this case...
      David Cameron must be quaking in his boots.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        It could actually be a benefit to the health of the nation. If the UK stops importing cheap meat from abroad and only buys British, then as long as the farmers maintain animal husbandry standards, then the quality of meat available in the UK will improve.
        This is good for our health.
        Secondly, the price of meat will increase substantially to the point that many people who believe in eating meat 2x a day, 7 days a week, will have to reduce their meat consumption and eat more fish, vegetables and fruit.
        This is also good for health.
        But that won't last as people will cry out at the prices, so the supermarkets, etc, will start importing from further afield, where the quality and care for the animals is less important, because we're in the "I want" generation, many of whom don't care about the wider impact of their individual decisions, choosing to blame others.
        This is the exact dilemma discussed on R4 last week. Farmers had mainly voted for Brexit and were expending competition from Europe to cease however, they have since realised that cheap meat stuffed with hormones and steroids will be imported from the USA and they will be worse off than being in Europe.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          There's still the Commonwealth. For example, I think most of our lamb is imported from New Zealand.
          Indeed

Beef and Lamb Matters: Why the UK imports lamb from New Zealand

However their welfare & health standards are as high as ours. Also you don't have PC scaring the meat!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Remember "Ash dieback"?

No, of course, you don't. I will remind you. It is a disease, a fungus, that kills Ash trees.

It has swept through Europe and killed 90% of the Ash trees in affected countries. It first arrived in the UK in 2012 and made the papers in 2015/2016.

I confidently predicted that the Wail will report it again within the next six months with the headline:

Juncker in EU BREXIT plot to kill OUR trees

Not because it's accurate, or relevant, but because it will sell papers.

Secondly, I predict that shortly after publishing the headline on their website Darmstadt will link it in a new thread on CUK. Thus boosting the Google Page-Rank of the Wail article, driving more traffic to their site and increasing their advertising revenue.

Comment

As Patient Zero is a Pig in this case I'm not sure about your obsession with Sausages.

They used the same methodology with BSE to find out the origin.

As the disease is more prevalent on the continent it does seem likely it originated there, but guess what an expert in this who spent years investigating actually said that is where it came from. I'm basing my opinion on facts not the defence of the EU.
              So just because it's in the papers it's a fact

Don't get me wrong i'm not defending the EU here, just questioning the validity of the "facts" published in the UK press, where there is nothing in the press in other (not only EU) countries. As according to your own post the disease is more prevalent on the continent and we supposedly have 60000 cases here, extrapolating this number should result in 100'000's of cases in Europe, where are the "facts" to back this up?

Which one is more believable - tinfoil hat level of cover up by the EU or misleading "facts" in the UK press.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Remember "Ash dieback"?

No, of course, you don't. I will remind you. It is a disease, a fungus, that kills Ash trees.

It has swept through Europe and killed 90% of the Ash trees in affected countries. It first arrived in the UK in 2012 and made the papers in 2015/2016.

I confidently predicted that the Wail will report it again within the next six months with the headline:

Juncker in EU BREXIT plot to kill OUR trees

Not because it's accurate, or relevant, but because it will sell papers.

Secondly, I predict that shortly after publishing the headline on their website Darmstadt will link it in a new thread on CUK. Thus boosting the Google Page-Rank of the Wail article, driving more traffic to their site and increasing their advertising revenue.
                No I won't, well not now anyway. I'll post a link to the Express instead
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Indeed

Beef and Lamb Matters: Why the UK imports lamb from New Zealand

However their welfare & health standards are as high as ours. Also you don't have PC scaring the meat!
                  Isn't all New Zealand lamb Halal?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Are you sure that's not Nigerian goat?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      So just because it's in the papers it's a fact

Don't get me wrong i'm not defending the EU here, just questioning the validity of the "facts" published in the UK press, where there is nothing in the press in other (not only EU) countries. As according to your own post the disease is more prevalent on the continent and we supposedly have 60000 cases here, extrapolating this number should result in 100'000's of cases in Europe, where are the "facts" to back this up?

Which one is more believable - tinfoil hat level of cover up by the EU or misleading "facts" in the UK press.
                      First of all it will only infect you if you eat raw pork, and if you do get it the virus is like flu it makes you ill for a couple of days and you get over it. But like flu it can be bad for old people or patients on immunity suppressant medication, who shouldn't be eating raw meat anyway.

It's non news really, but the British press love the idea of foreigners bringing diseases, however harmless, that have names similar to other dangerous diseases but in fact have nothing in common. It would be like a variant of the common cold being called canser and then the papers getting hold of it to report on foreigners giving everyone canser, even though all that happens is they have a runny nose.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 May 2017, 11:59.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X