• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'habitable' clause in BTL mortgage criteria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    Fellows...

In the process of buying another property for investment purposes, it being 'in need of modernisation' with 'lots of potential'.

Of course, BTL mortgages tend to have a 'must be habitable' clause, with no real definition of 'habitable'. The house could be lived in: it has a fully working kitchen and bathroom, it has electrics (no gas though) - it is just really really old fashioned and does need a new everything - it even has original bakelite light switches in places.

Does anyone have any experience of whether mortgage companies would decide this isn't habitable (Natwest in particular) or whether I will be sent down the route of a bridging loan first and then get a proper BTL mortgage when it is actually ready to let out?
    Buy on bridging.

Don't forget to take plenty of 'before' photos.

Get all your gear from LNPG to get better than trade prices.

Once fully refurbished, be present when the lender's valuer arrives so you can personally present him with a copy of the schedule of works undertaken to prove the uplift in value from your purchase price of only a couple of months previously.

Get remortgage based on uplifted value of the property. Get most of your upfront cash back out.

Rinse & repeat.

You do know about Section 24, and you are buying through a Ltd co. SPV, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
      Buy on bridging.

Don't forget to take plenty of 'before' photos.

Get all your gear from LNPG to get better than trade prices.

Once fully refurbished, be present when the lender's valuer arrives so you can personally present him with a copy of the schedule of works undertaken to prove the uplift in value from your purchase price of only a couple of months previously.

Get remortgage based on uplifted value of the property. Get most of your upfront cash back out.

Rinse & repeat.

You do know about Section 24, and you are buying through a Ltd co. SPV, aren't you?
      Recommend this
      https://www.thebridgecrowd.com/borrow-money-uk
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Lots of houses which are "in need of modernisation" are perfectly habitable - just that prospective tenants would be expecting a lower level of rent.

However, it must meet certain minimum standards for letting purposes - and a few recently refurbished properties may still fall foul of a strict interpretation of those standards.

All this should come out as part of the valuation. What the mortgage company is interested in is - can it be rented out - and if so, for how much ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Wait until Brexit and the definition of what is habitable will change in your favour.

Comment

Brexit Lemming
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Nasty looking piece of vinyl waste you have there. You want to consult Commission Regulation (EC) No. 10/2011 of 14 January 2011 (as amended by Commission Implementing Regulation(EU) No 321/2011 of 1 April 2011, Commission Regulation (EU) No 1282/2011 of 28 November 2011, Commission Regulation (EU) No 1183/2012 of 30 November 2012, Commission Regulation (EU) No 202/2014 of 3 March 2014, Commission Regulation (EU) No 865/2014 of 8 August 2014, Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/174 of 5 February 2015 and Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/1416 of 24 August 2016).

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Fook me they know how to charge

Monthly interest rate: 1.3%
                Arrangement fee £2000.00
                Admin fee £350.00
                Loan management fee £1000.00

Saffron have some interesting Buy To Let Light Refurbishment mortgages and they seem contractor friendly, but their minimum property valuation (according to the intermediaries site) is higher than the place I am looking at would be worth in pristine completed condition.

I am also still umming and arring over the 'doing it myself' vs 'through an SPV' route, and I do wonder whether for this particular venture, the additional cost of the SPV (higher mortgage rates, additional accountancy fees) would outweigh any tax savings and my own research points to mortgage companies providing loans to SPVs have high minimum valuation requirements which exceed what I am looking at.

(My accepted offer is a lick over £50k, and worth £75k finished, rental at £450-£500 a month - I took the estate agent's estimate of £85k finished value with a pinch of salt)
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Fellows...

In the process of buying another property for investment purposes, it being 'in need of modernisation' with 'lots of potential'.

Of course, BTL mortgages tend to have a 'must be habitable' clause, with no real definition of 'habitable'. The house could be lived in: it has a fully working kitchen and bathroom, it has electrics (no gas though) - it is just really really old fashioned and does need a new everything - it even has original bakelite light switches in places.

Does anyone have any experience of whether mortgage companies would decide this isn't habitable (Natwest in particular) or whether I will be sent down the route of a bridging loan first and then get a proper BTL mortgage when it is actually ready to let out?
                  From a banks point of view, they are mainly concerned with the resale value in the event they ever need to repossess the property.

Essentially, a bank must deem the property habitable before they will release the funds. This will be down to the surveyors comments who will be looking for a functioning bathroom and a functioning kitchen. This generally means a sink and access to the mains water. A lender may also be concerned if there is problems with the roof and it is not uncommon for a lender to put a retention on the property ie the funds will not be released until the work is carried out. (taken from an old This is money article)

Comment

(My accepted offer is a lick over £50k, and worth £75k finished, rental at £450-£500 a month - I took the estate agent's estimate of £85k finished value with a pinch of salt)
                    WTF are you buying? Given that I live in one of the cheaper parts of the country I can't see anything selling at £75k finished that I would want to be near...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      WTF are you buying? Given that I live in one of the cheaper parts of the country I can't see anything selling at £75k finished that I would want to be near...
                      Try places like Darwen
                      3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Brookway, Blackburn, BB2, BB2

which makes the place I'm interested in look positively expensive.
                      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                      X