• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quimbyisms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quimbyisms

I don't knowif any o you remember the late, greatt Fred Quimby but he presided over the golden era of Tom and Jerry cartoons as the show's producer.

I don't think he even had any input to the creative process but there's a marked difference between the Quimby era output and that which came later such that whenever somebody tells me T&J are on TV, I'll always enquire as to whether it's a Fred Quimby production or not. If not, I generally don't bother.

I think the same phenomenon, or Quimbyism as I've decided to cal it, can have have a broader application to anything one may once have enjoyed in the past which doesn't pass muster,so to speak, in its present incarnation .

There are many - particularly in the world of food and drink. I'll start off with what passes as opal fruits these days. Why couldnt they just stick with lemon , orange, strawberry and lime instead of all those exotoc fruits? And munchies - they're smaller and don't taste the same and I don't like the packaging.

What are your quimbyisms?

The quality of sockies on this forum. FFS even Gricer was marginally more amusing than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      I don't knowif any o you remember the late, greatt Fred Quimby but he presided over the golden era of Tom and Jerry cartoons as the show's producer.

I don't think he even had any input to the creative process but there's a marked difference between the Quimby era output and that which came later such that whenever somebody tells me T&J are on TV, I'll always enquire as to whether it's a Fred Quimby production or not. If not, I generally don't bother.

I think the same phenomenon, or Quimbyism as I've decided to cal it, can have have a broader application to anything one may once have enjoyed in the past which doesn't pass muster,so to speak, in its present incarnation .

There are many - particularly in the world of food and drink. I'll start off with what passes as opal fruits these days. Why couldnt they just stick with lemon , orange, strawberry and lime instead of all those exotoc fruits? And munchies - they're smaller and don't taste the same and I don't like the packaging.

What are your quimbyisms?
      Jesus wept...

Comment

Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
              The quality of sockies on this forum. FFS even Gricer was marginally more amusing than this.
              What the sockie said.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I miss aussielong.

Comment

Frederick Clinton "Fred" Quimby (July 31, 1886 – September 16, 1965)
                  Awards: Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film (1953, 1952, 1949, 1947, 1946, 1945, 1944, 1941)
                  Nominations: Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film (1956, 1955, 1953, 1952, 1951, 1950, 1949, 1948, 1947, 1946, 1945, 1944, 1941)

Gordon Bennet Missus, not many on CUK ancient enough to remember who he was.

Let's see, what used to be good and is crap in the current version? Erm, just about everything I'd say.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Frederick Clinton "Fred" Quimby (July 31, 1886 – September 16, 1965)
                    Awards: Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film (1953, 1952, 1949, 1947, 1946, 1945, 1944, 1941)
                    Nominations: Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film (1956, 1955, 1953, 1952, 1951, 1950, 1949, 1948, 1947, 1946, 1945, 1944, 1941)

Gordon Bennet Missus, not many on CUK ancient enough to remember who he was.

Let's see, what used to be good and is crap in the current version? Erm, just about everything I'd say.
                    It will only get worse after Brexit.

Comment

Working...
                    X