• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quimbyisms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I miss aussielong.
    I bet you do
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      I bet you do
      The old man made good cash pole-choking AL.

Comment

I miss aussielong.
        Who's aussielong?
        one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          Who's aussielong?
          Could be a number of posters
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            Who's aussielong?
            A pole choker.

Comment

It will only get worse after Brexit
              Admin! Admin! I want to report harassment by someone mentioning the B word, despite knowing I am severely allergic!

Where my Brexit epipen? In the box somewhere. Trump epipen, immigration epipen, Tory scum epipen...
              Last edited by xoggoth; 19 May 2017, 11:52.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                What the sockie said.
                Tulip! I thought I was posting from my zeitghost account! Rumbled!

Comment

It will only get worse after Brexit.
                  Tome & Jerry cartoons started getting worse about the time we joined the EU!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Where my Brexit epipen? In the box somewhere. Trump epipen, immigration epipen, Tory scum epipen...
                    It's only licensed for use within the EU.

Comment

Confectionery related quimbyisms aplenty this weekend as I popped into Ye Olde Sweete Shoppe in Corfe Castle after an invigorating yomp around the castle's ramparts.

A right cornucopia of ole time favourites were on display and I opted for a quarter of sweet peanuts while my friend Nige played it safe with strawberry bonbons. I already sensed a quimbyism coming on by virtue of the fact that what was actually dispensed was not, in fact, a quarter of a pound but 100 grams. And 100 grams, my friends, ain't quite a quarter.

Already slightly nauseous from the way Nige was throwing the Logan MCV into the windy bends of the Piddle Valley, I popped a sweet into my mouth and sucked. Not quite the flavour I remember from my youth and biting through the hard outer shell the expected an explosion of nuttiness from the peanut brittle within did not materialise. All I experienced was nothing other than a monumental hit of glucose which gave me a fit of the vapours and Nige had to pull over to let me get out and take a restorative breath of fresh air.

The inneresting thing in all this, as Nige pointed out, is that no matter what I had chosen, disappointment was bound to follow since it's not just the comparative quantities and dimensions of so called retro confectionery relative to its heyday equivalent that disappoints but also shortcomings in flavour and texture owing to differences in the composition of many of these sweet foodstuffs. And that's largely down to our friends in the EU because many of the constituents of yesteryear are now banned and, lets face it, it was the nasty chemicals that made these things taste so darn good. Who can ever forget having one's mouth stained bright orange and the roof of your mouth scourged by spending an afternoon dipping a lollipop into a quarter of a pound of caustic lemon crystal sherbet?

I'm sure it's all good for the health of the nation but sweets are definitely not as much fun as they used to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X