• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories Want Your House

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nan been in an dementia care home now for 4 years, self funded to the tune of £5200 a month so she has spent the best part of quarter of a million (£250k) on her care and now she is coming to the end of her cash and the threshold, both my grand parents paid in NI etc and get no help. My nan wasn't particularly wealthy lived in London sold her house for circa £300k and went to live with my mum before it got to much for her. The whole setup makes me pretty sick.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Agree with several of the threads above even though they don't say the same thing. It is a really complex issue. Maybe it would help if there were more voluntary organisations so the many retired volunteers could help out with some aspects of elderly care. Obviously that would needs careful vetting.
      The retirement age is going up to 70.

Increasing numbers of women, who traditionally were the main personal carers in the family and community, work outside the home.

Where are these healthy retired volunteers going to come from to care for others?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Where are you going to find these volunteers after Brexit?
        The middle class brits as usual.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          The middle class brits as usual.
          There should be plenty of British oldies coming back from the EU to replace those feckless EU workers.

Comment

I've got a luxury flat, so I'll be allright...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I've got a luxury flat, so I'll be allright...
              Smart move keeping the value under the threshold for social care payments.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Smart move keeping the value under the threshold for social care payments.

Hmmm.......inneresting.

Did you know that it's not possiible to get a mortgage on a property located above a takeaway food premises?

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  Hmmm.......inneresting.

Did you know that it's not possiible to get a mortgage on a property located above a takeaway food premises?
                  Feck off

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    Hmmm.......inneresting.

They let AtW live there free because his squirrel army keep the cockroach population down!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Can you insure for long term care needs?

It's a tough one. With people living longer and longer it's unsustainable. Hope the tories also vote for voluntary euthanasia...

Comment

Working...
                      X