• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories Want Your House

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You are aware the Tories have raised the inheritance tax threshold? Well bad news if you get dementia your family will only inherit the first 100K as the rest will have to go on your dementia care.

More to follow listening to Mrs May ranting.
    Making you pay for your own care is right-wing. Expecting the state to cover it is left-wing.

It was all a bit messy but wasn't the big caveat it's taken at death so you can still live in your house, then when you die it has to be sold to cover your bills? Or did I mis-read? Not something I read in detail yet.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Making you pay for your own care is right-wing. Expecting the state to cover it is left-wing.

It was all a bit messy but wasn't the big caveat it's taken at death so you can still live in your house, then when you die it has to be sold to cover your bills? Or did I mis-read? Not something I read in detail yet.
      That was my understanding - the general though it that rather than moving the person into a care home and selling their house to pay for it - they can effectively receive home care where the bill will be settled out of the estate upon death.

I am not sure whether I agree or disagree however it is apparent that that sort of social care can be expensive and has to be funded somehow.

And there is simply not the money in the UK's coffers to pay for it.

Ultimately the family is being expected to support their own including young children and the elderly.

The fact that people expect the state to support their elderly parents so that when they do die the family can inherit all the estate without paying a penny towards the care is just naive imho.

Comment

Yeah that's surely having your cake and eating it. That said, if you have to pay to get the same care available for free, what's the point earning it in the first place is a counter-argument. That's like paying tax for the NHS and then finding it's means tested so you have to pay for your care twice.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          The fact that people expect the state to support their elderly parents so that when they do die the family can inherit all the estate without paying a penny towards the care is just naive imho.
          Well the Waltons lifestyle of generations in the same house disappeared... the younger generation are too busy working themselves to the bones to pay the taxes and to afford a living, no one can afford to stay home, or stay living within a close distance of their elderly parents and stop working to look after their elderly.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

One of the arguments is that health care is provided free at the point of use so social care should be.

As no-one knows whether they will end up with terminal cancer and linger for 5 years where their care falls to the NHS, or dementia and linger for the 5 years where their care falls on the social care system, then everyone should pay for both.

That way you stop people saying they will commit suicide as soon as they are diagnosed with dementia partly to stop their assets being used mostly for their care.

Also there are adults who aren't elderly and don't have dementia who need social care. If we fund those who have dementia we also will provide funding for these people. At the moment these people are really suffering due to the cuts in social care.

Now the question what is the fairest way to do it? Consumption taxes e.g. taxes on sugary foods? Income tax? A levy on every single estate?

There is also the issue the levels of home ownership is low amongst young adults which means there will be less and less adults with homes to sell to pay for care over the years, especially if this goes ahead.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the point I've heard being mentioned that strikes a chord is that if you have an illness like cancer or aids you will be treated by the NHS. If you get alzheimers, which isjust another illness, you fund it yourself even if you've been paying taxes your whole life.

Something not quite right there.

Comment

Agree with several of the threads above even though they don't say the same thing. It is a really complex issue. Maybe it would help if there were more voluntary organisations so the many retired volunteers could help out with some aspects of elderly care. Obviously that would needs careful vetting.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Theresa May appoints Rolf Harris as Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure

And even if it came true May would still win.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Agree with several of the threads above even though they don't say the same thing. It is a really complex issue. Maybe it would help if there were more voluntary organisations so the many retired volunteers could help out with some aspects of elderly care. Obviously that would needs careful vetting.
                    Where are you going to find these volunteers after Brexit?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Don't forget to shoot someone on Oxford street!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X