• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gardening tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turf is easier. Is it a big area or just patching? If you drive around some new housing estates eventually they will lay some turf, get details of the supplier then sneak round after it is layed, roll it up and move to your place. If you need to do seed, keep well watered, add a small layer of topsoil, plenty of netting to stop the birds getting at it.

Comment

The seed needs some cover I mix it with compost and spread, like any good woman, keep it wet!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Wasn't expecting this many responses! The first time I put the seeds out it was hot and dry and I only watered it once a day. Still doing in once a day but it's been raining all week so hopefully that helps.

I've read not to use the weed / moss killer until the grass has grown to 8cm and been mowed a couple of time. Any idea if seed and feed works at this stage?

I'm renting so willing to put a lot of money into this hence no astro turf or relaying.

Comment

Don't let the squirrels bury their nuts in it.

I recently had someone at the door offering some new gardening type called "uphill". Rates seem very reasonable...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Don't let the squirrels bury their nuts in it.

I recently had someone at the door offering some new gardening type called "uphill". Rates seem very reasonable...
            That may have been a bum steer.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by fannyadams View Post
              Astroturf?

Think of the poor birdies. When they try digging for for worms, their beaks just bounce off it!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You need to:

1- Plough the soil.
                2- Fertilize
                2- Spread the seeds.
                4- Bury the seeds lightly.
                5- Protect the seeds with a net against birds
                5- Regular irrigation.

If the seeds are in good conditions shall start to grow in a couple of days.

Comment

diynot.com forums have a section for gardening.
                  If you're a stackoverflow fan, there's this too: https://gardening.stackexchange.com/
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                    Wasn't expecting this many responses! The first time I put the seeds out it was hot and dry and I only watered it once a day. Still doing in once a day but it's been raining all week so hopefully that helps.

I've read not to use the weed / moss killer until the grass has grown to 8cm and been mowed a couple of time. Any idea if seed and feed works at this stage?

I'm renting so willing to put a lot of money into this hence no astro turf or relaying.
                    You need to check in your area the best time to plant the seeds.
                    Portugal in May is already too warm for the seeds, the best time is between March and April or October and November.

Regarding the weed killer, I think it's too soon. If you already have done it probably the soil is already contaminated to try another plantation.

Another tip is when the grass has about 1cm press the area with a kind of platform in order to bury the roots.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post

Any advice?
                      Lots of patience
                      one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                      X