• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS Cyber attack!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    BBC had a security expert on breakfast, sounded like a clueless idiot. If this is the standard of security consultant I'm thinking of getting into this racket.
    Newsnight had a hacker guy on who had a previous criminal conviction.

The guy looked pissed off while the "experts" were talking. He then made the point that it wasn't a genius who caused it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Empress made a statement:

• This is not targeted at the NHS, it’s an international attack, says Empress Theresa the First

Phew, thank May for that!
      The code for the Trojan was developed by the NSA and stolen from employees.
      HMG should sue the NSA for negligence.

Those affected were not properly protected with AV and MS updates.
      Those badly affected are the ones without backups or those who have never tested their backups. Many of these failed systems are contracted out to the well-known third party companies. No doubt companies like *** Group will have disclaimers in small print at the back of their glossy brochures.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

All of this because someone wanted to download naked pictures of Anna Kournikova eh?

I can definitely confirm what Paddy mentioned in another post, that the NHS IT Systems are a joke, the people they employ and outsource it to have no idea what they are doing. The NHS is a tight closed club, no one from the outside can join hence why they will NEVER get experts working for them.

I remember interviewing for a contract deploying a specific piece of software. I worked for the company that developed this, I had their training and knew how to tackle any of the issues that they will get and they will get plenty. I did not get the gig because "I did not have enough NHS Trust engagement experience". Like that is something that you can call "experience". They are so up their own a$$ that they cannot comprehend that someone from the private sector would be able to understand their lingo and processes in 1 day.

Lets be honest the contractors working for the NHS prior to the IR35 fiasco were all part of the club, I don't think any of them have worked anywhere else but the NHS for decades so they wouldn't have any expert advice even if they did not implement the in IR35 bullS... that's all they did because these are easy cushy jobs and can get paid up to £1500 a day. I know a few directors on contracts getting that much a day. What they do no idea because I see no improvements whatsoever.
        Last edited by Drei; 13 May 2017, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Yep, apparently it has a worm capability to spread over an unsecure network without each Windows PC user having to invite it onto the PC by opening an email etc.

Exploit patched since mid March according to news item but I guess not applicable to XP so the vulnerability continues.

Should be even more legacy work migrating systems from old no-longer supported MS products now.
          I wonder if this would help or was even installed?

https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus

Windows XP® Security | Windows XP Antivirus | Kaspersky Lab

etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Yep, apparently it has a worm capability to spread over an unsecure network without each Windows PC user having to invite it onto the PC by opening an email etc.

Exploit patched since mid March according to news item but I guess not applicable to XP so the vulnerability continues.

Should be even more legacy work migrating systems from old no-longer supported MS products now.
            M$ has now allowed XP and OS above but unsupported to be patched.

Case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The code for the Trojan was developed by the NSA and stolen from employees.
              HMG should sue the NSA for negligence.

Those affected were not properly protected with AV and MS updates.
              Those badly affected are the ones without backups or those who have never tested their backups. Many of these failed systems are contracted out to the well-known third party companies. No doubt companies like *** Group will have disclaimers in small print at the back of their glossy brochures.
              Exploits wre NSA, they were stolen by GRU - released by Wikileaks who are GRU front, then in way too dhort time this GRU virus appears ... sue NSA?

Running XP is negligent

Comment

Oh btw, it was accused rapist Julian Assange who released the data via Wikileaks, he is holed up in Ecuadorign Embassy, me thinking it's good time to tell them that they have to change location of embassy ASAP...

Comment

Global cyber-attack: Security blogger halts ransomware 'by accident' - BBC News

This is brilliant.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
                    All of this because someone wanted to download naked pictures of Anna Kournikova eh?

I can definitely confirm what Paddy mentioned in another post, that the NHS IT Systems are a joke, the people they employ and outsource it to have no idea what they are doing. The NHS is a tight closed club, no one from the outside can join hence why they will NEVER get experts working for them.

I remember interviewing for a contract deploying a specific piece of software. I worked for the company that developed this, I had their training and knew how to tackle any of the issues that they will get and they will get plenty. I did not get the gig because "I did not have enough NHS Trust engagement experience". Like that is something that you can call "experience". They are so up their own a$$ that they cannot comprehend that someone from the private sector would be able to understand their lingo and processes in 1 day.

Lets be honest the contractors working for the NHS prior to the IR35 fiasco were all part of the club, I don't think any of them have worked anywhere else but the NHS for decades so they wouldn't have any expert advice even if they did not implement the in IR35 bullS... that's all they did because these are easy cushy jobs and can get paid up to £1500 a day. I know a few directors on contracts getting that much a day. What they do no idea because I see no improvements whatsoever.
                    Alot of government is like that. ESpecially in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      And they're criminals. Not to be trusted. Shame the government decided to deter IT professionals from working in the NHS.
                      Hang on, it wasn't just the NHS that was attacked, many private sector organisations (FedEx, Renualt and Deutsche Bahn naming some) were infected too, only the NHS ones made the news
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X