• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exchanging foriegn coins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Yes, thats the machines they're rolling out. But where do they sell their currency?

Is everyone on here really thick? Surely one of you knows how this works in detail
    Well, quite obviously you are.

Or you have trouble using Google

Funnily enough a lot of people have asked Just the same, LM has it pretty much right.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Personally I give that sort of stuff to charity.

For sasguru, "charity" is where you help other people..
      "It's not that I can't help these people, it's just that I don't want to" - Volunteers.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Having spent the best part of 5 minutes on Google (better search engines are available), I tracked down a story in the Mirror which was about selling them, not giving them to charity. From that story there was a link to a company who buys them, www.leftovercurrency.com and in their FAQ they say:

We repatriate most coins and notes back to the countries of origin, where we exchange them at the central bank through a formal process.

Notes and coins for which the exchange deadline has expired are organised into collections and lots, which we sell to collectors at trade shows and auctions.

We keep some notes and coins for our own personal collection. At Leftover Currency, we are coin & banknote enthusiasts, and members of the International Bank Note Society (IBNS).
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Having spent the best part of 5 minutes on Google (better search engines are available), I tracked down a story in the Mirror which was about selling them, not giving them to charity. From that story there was a link to a company who buys them, www.leftovercurrency.com and in their FAQ they say:
          Fine.

Can you simplify so that MF will understand it though
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Fine.

Can you simplify so that MF will understand it though
            I don't think I can stoop that low.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I don't think I can stoop that low.
              Might prove difficult to do, especially as the OP clearly lacks the varied vocabulary required to effectively use a search engine.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Might prove difficult to do, especially as the OP clearly lacks the varied vocabulary required to effectively use a search engine.

https://youtu.be/OqjF7HKSaaI

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I honestly don't know. Some places I looked at require at least 5kg of coinage before they'll exchange it, implying that there is a need for decent volumes to make it viable.

I suspect, and it's really only a hunch, that where the currency is still legal tender then the coins will be sold on to the country they came from. If it's no longer legal tender then coins in good condition will get sold on to collectors and the bashed up ones will end up being sold as scrap metal.

So that would be an interesting logistical problem but an interesting one. I looked at a couple of these and they're offering 60% for the new coin machines. When you add in all the fees, you probably need a contact in each country/shipping etc.

Interesting to go into more detail.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X