• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshoreism of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Its often the case students pay more attention to a new subject than those raised with it.

Knowing a subject is not remembering facts its understanding how to use them as well.
    Your mastery of the English language has convinced us.

Comment

This thread is funny. It exposes the Brexit mentality like no other.
      Unjustified superiority complex in a nutshell.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

This thread is funny. It exposes the Brexit mentality like no other.
        Unjustified superiority complex in a nutshell.
        This thread is now being used for publicity purposes in New York liberal circles. http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...exit-tour.html

Comment

I thought the verb meant to hint or say subtly. I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) to find it means that AND it means to state.

Comment

A real chunty thread.

Well done.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Why have you handed your account to sasguru?
              He laughed at a non-Brit for using a word, correctly, in a way that he didn't know. When it was pointed out, instead of admitting he got it wrong, he continued to justify himself. That really is execrable behaviour.

I know of the second definition, however its very rarely used in conversation / communication. Its the sort of thing a lawyer would use. This chap has seen it in a dictionary and not realised its uncommon-
              Rubbish. It's an entirely normal word which educated people will know. It might not be used every day (or at all in the Daily Mail), but it's certainly not archaic or obscure. For all you know, it is in daily use in India - they have a tendency to use more formal terms in written communications.

edit:
              And it turns out the usage is common in Indian English. here we have it from the horse's mouth.
              2. Intimate

In India, there is a rather unusual usage of this word in the context of informing or notifying someone, which connotes common ancestry with “revert”. “Once I revert, I will intimate you” can be intimidating to handle, we imagine.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Apparently he will 'Intimate' when done.

made me chuckle, I would probably insult their God or Donkey if I tried to speak Hindi.
                why?

Person accidentally makes a mistake in a foreign language, its a doozy so I laugh at it whilst admitting I'm completely ignorant of their language.
                So:
                It was you making the mistake, not him.
                You assert that this guy worships a Donkey (your capital D no doubt added for importance of said donkey)

Comment

If Indian sub-continent immigration is going to continue post-Brexit, there is a real business opportunity to train our educated Indian cousins in Basic English, so they can communicate with the remaining native workforce.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    If Indian sub-continent immigration is going to continue post-Brexit, there is a real business opportunity to train our educated Indian cousins in Basic English, so they can communicate with the remaining native workforce.
                    Innit, bruv.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      So:
                      It was you making the mistake, not him.
                      You assert that this guy worships a Donkey (your capital D no doubt added for importance of said donkey)
                      To be fair, I read that as:

I would probably insult their God, or insult their Donkey, if I tried to speak Hindi.

I don't see any intimation that the guy worships a Donkey. The capital D is probably because vetran made a typo. Or his Germanic ancestry is showing.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X