• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kids & Chess

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids & Chess

So my 8 year old son who seems to get bored at school/distracted and play up all the time was at home today having been excluded again.

Having completed all of his school work he was set, he was bored so the wife gave him a junior chess set with instructions on the back.

He's never played chess before, but does things like Pokemon which seems to have complex rules.

So he read the instruction manual. After 30 minutes he had the board setup, and understood how all the pieces worked. She then gave him his first game, and he beat her. His ten year old sister who does a chess club, then played him and he beat her on his second game.

I arrived home from work and he said, I've learnt chess, do you want a game? There was a perfectly set up board and he then proceeded to tell me all the rules.

So he went first, I then decided to go immediately for a quick check mate knowing he wouldn't think to block it, and he bloody did. I then attempted another 3 to 4 sneaky attempts before eventually having to resort to playing a little more tactical.

I had a second game, and at no point did he fall for any simple moves. He was completely backing pieces up & trying to pincer me.

When I beat him on the second game, he trashed the board and stormed off. (sigh)

So in total he's played for about one hour and is already better than his sister and mother. Beggars belief.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Your son needs to learn to be a better loser especially when he can play against that person again and beat them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Your son needs to learn to be a better loser especially when he can play against that person again and beat them.
      Unfortunately that's one of his major autistic issues. He cannot deal with frustration, and being a worse loser than Ronaldo is a problem
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Unfortunately that's one of his major autistic issues. He cannot deal with frustration, and being a worse loser than Ronaldo is a problem
        He needs to read all Assguru's posts. Then he will realise being a bitter loser isn't something to aspire to.

Comment

Chesskids is a good and entirely safe - no chat - online community. Your kid may find the online environment works for him. Not many chess clubs are kid friendly any more although we are lucky to have one nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            He needs to read all Assguru's posts. Then he will realise being a bitter loser isn't something to aspire to.
            How is that Swindon divorce support group working out?

Comment

When I beat him on the second game, he trashed the board and stormed off. (sigh)

Well the apple never falls far from the tree, apparently.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

So my 8 year old son who seems to get bored at school/distracted and play up all the time was at home today having been excluded again.

Having completed all of his school work he was set, he was bored so the wife gave him a junior chess set with instructions on the back.

He's never played chess before, but does things like Pokemon which seems to have complex rules.

So he read the instruction manual. After 30 minutes he had the board setup, and understood how all the pieces worked. She then gave him his first game, and he beat her. His ten year old sister who does a chess club, then played him and he beat her on his second game.

I arrived home from work and he said, I've learnt chess, do you want a game? There was a perfectly set up board and he then proceeded to tell me all the rules.

So he went first, I then decided to go immediately for a quick check mate knowing he wouldn't think to block it, and he bloody did. I then attempted another 3 to 4 sneaky attempts before eventually having to resort to playing a little more tactical.

I had a second game, and at no point did he fall for any simple moves. He was completely backing pieces up & trying to pincer me.

So in total he's played for about one hour and is already better than his sister and mother. Beggars belief.
                Start teaching him Blackjack & Poker. Some of the best players are to some degree autistic, perhaps you could retire from IT and become his manager.

Mordy in "Rain Man" Mode.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

My son gets (free) Overwatch Gaming accounts (it's some current computer game), and cos he's so good at it, top 50 in World or something, he plays like mad for half a day to get the account high in the ratings, and sells them on for as much as £300.

Seems to have dried up a bit lately though, need to be proactive in picking the next popular game, and skilling up.

See he's got the ability, but not the nous to look ahead just yet. If he can master that, he'll do ok!

Comment

All-time fave quote:

"The slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable."
                    (Henry Thomas Buckle)

Most kids don't learn to win with grace -or lose with dignity- until they've taken enough beatings. I remember my lad snatched a hanging bishop once, came over all "in your face!" until I ground him to dust in the end game......stick it to the bleeders I say, that way they'll appreciate a good win when they get it.

Buy him a book of openings, or Tal's best games for inspiration.
                    Last edited by glebe digital; 9 May 2017, 08:56. Reason: spelling doh

Comment

Working...
                    X