• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kids & Chess

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    The rapid play I did was 7 games in one day but yes, the Swiss is normally 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday (depending when/if you take a bye).

qh
    But the rapid play would typically be Swiss as well.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      But the rapid play would typically be Swiss as well.
      Probably, I was too busy concentrating on not blundering my queen against the Indian kids.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Probably, I was too busy concentrating on not blundering my queen against the Indian kids.

qh
        Salvaged a draw against one two weeks ago. Was completely beaten but very nearly did him over in an opposite colour bishop ending.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          It's a good exercise to program a computer to play chess using minimax and alpha-beta pruning. Evaluating the static positions is quite good fun. And the sense of anticipiation when the fooking thing makes a move is something else. In practice the program I wrote (more than 30 years ago) played atrociously, but it taught me a fook load about programming.
          Are you sure you don't mean draughts?

Writing a chess program is a non-trivial exercise.

You are saying that you completed that in your teens, before the internet?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
            Are you sure you don't mean draughts?

Writing a chess program is a non-trivial exercise.

You are saying that you completed that in your teens, before the internet?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....
            Yes - odd as it may seem people wrote games before the internet which is what got lots of boys into IT.

Oh btw have you read any chess books? They existed then and still exist now.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A friend of mine is a grandmaster and I haven't yet mustered up the courage to challenge her to a game. Yes I don't want to get beaten by a girl

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Yes - odd as it may seem people wrote games before the internet which is what got lots of boys into IT.

Oh btw have you read any chess books? They existed then and still exist now.
                Yes I have read and studied chess theory and play on chess.com with guys in the office. I also know what is involved in writing a chess program because I have done it, and it is not something a teenage hacker could pull off. Even describing the different tactics for opening, middle and end game is a project. Draughts or tic-tac-toe, maybe.

But you are right, back in the 80s boys like us did write basic games. Space invaders, adventure games, etc. We usually typed in the code from magazine like INPUT and then hacked it around to change the game.

A chess program is a different level. No, definitely a massive stink on this one Sue.

Comment

Yes I have read and studied chess theory and play on chess.com with guys in the office. I also know what is involved in writing a chess program because I have done it, and it is not something a teenage hacker could pull off. Even describing the different tactics for opening, middle and end game is a project. Draughts or tic-tac-toe, maybe.

But you are right, back in the 80s boys like us did write basic games. Space invaders, adventure games, etc. We usually typed in the code from magazine like INPUT and then hacked it around to change the game.

A chess program is a different level. No, definitely a massive stink on this one Sue.
                  Clearly I'm smarter than you. But that was obvious before. how did you write your chess program - standard minimax? It's not trivial but not particular hard either. More tedious than anything.
                  Recursive procedure to generate moves and hence board positions. Evaluation procedure on quiet positions or pre set level then propagate back up . Position with the highest score determines the next move. spent 6 months of intense work when I was 17. Had to repeat my A levels because of it.
                  Last edited by sasguru; 9 May 2017, 19:56.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Clearly I'm smarter than you. But that was obvious before. how did you write your chess programme- standard minimax? It's not trivial but not particular hard either. More tedious than anything.
                    I can hear you frantically googling "alpha beta pruning" from my pad in the med

Comment

I can hear you frantically googling "alpha beta pruning" from my pad in the med
                      You do come across as a beach bum mediocrity, maintaining other people's code rather than creating your own. Not surprised you find it difficult.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X