• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You'd be stupid not to have a Plan B if Brexit goes bad - so what is it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Brexit goes totally wrong all UK passport holders will require paid visa to enter EU countries and even if you have visa free travel you will need visa or residence permits for stays longer than 90 days and you will require workpermits to pick up a contract
    I however still have my EU passport which allows me to move, live and work freely through 27 countries + the UK.
    But hey the Brexiteers have "freedom"

Comment

Yes Brexit may collapse my plan A (contracting) and Plan B (buy to let) ... if all EU citizens leave even eventually it means the market supply of rental properties would be greater than demand... I know an elderly couple the guy is 70 and they put all their pensions in buy to lets.. so they are also totally screwed if the rental income is hit badly....

When banking jobs (which I have been working on most of my career) stop, thousands and thousands would flood the market to apply for roles in small startups and other sectors (if we still have other sectors that is) ... so its all doomed really !!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        When Brexit goes totally wrong all UK passport holders will require paid visa to enter EU countries and even if you have visa free travel you will need visa or residence permits for stays longer than 90 days and you will require workpermits to pick up a contract
        I however still have my EU passport which allows me to move, live and work freely through 27 countries + the UK.
        But hey the Brexiteers have "freedom"
        Yes, you are lucky to have the EU passport... I can't see why Europeans companies would opt to grant UK Brexiter work permits when they have other EU workers available cheaply... not to mention the Indians !!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Plan A was to obtain EU citizenship.

Soon we will see UK women paying Polish or other east European men to marry them for their EU passports

Comment

Plan A is not to be in the country when Brexit happens. It was to not be in the country when Article 50 happens, but I didn't manage that one. Also it involves learning German, and inevitably that's taking too long.

The Plan B I had sort of fizzled out. I do still have a software project on the go that could amount to something, but despite me being on the bench the last few months I haven't made nearly as much progress as I should have.

I don't know why people are worried about what happens with Brexit. It's only the UK.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I don't know why people are worried about what happens with Brexit. It's only the UK.
              Brexiters claim not be worried, but ironically they're the ones most likely to lack transferable international in-demand skills if the UK goes down the pan.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Brexiters claim not be worried, but ironically they're the ones most likely to lack transferable international in-demand skills if the UK goes down the pan.
                some of the brexiters I know are simply rich enough to not to care what happens. "it won't affect me at all" is what i hear from them

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Plan A is not to be in the country when Brexit happens. It was to not be in the country when Article 50 happens, but I didn't manage that one. Also it involves learning German, and inevitably that's taking too long.

The Plan B I had sort of fizzled out. I do still have a software project on the go that could amount to something, but despite me being on the bench the last few months I haven't made nearly as much progress as I should have.

Because if you have UK nationality then you wont be allowed to work outside the UK after Brexit, if you already working outside, then you may get kicked out or contract terminated as they wont be willing to give you workpermit.
                  Have you tried that bable app that promises to learn a language in 3 weeks??

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    1. You won't have the right to work in Europe.
                    2. You're clearly not a real contractor if you think the public sector is a valid place to work.
                    3. Following on from 2, the public sector will shrink considerably in the event of a bad Brexit, since the private sector will too. Money doesn't grow on trees, contrary to popular belief.
                    If the jobs currently filled by UK contractors in Europe could be filled by European contractors they would be.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      If the jobs currently filled by UK contractors in Europe could be filled by European contractors they would be.
                      True, talent won't struggle for work - there'll be a work-permit system but only for the cream.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X