• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transferable Skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferable Skills

Imagine you're a coder but have had enough of IT, the money isn't that important to you anymore but you need to carry on working for another 10 years.

Is there anything that would pay, say £30-40k pa for which you would be suited without retraining?

I can't help feeling the choice is stick with the status quo. get a plan b together or just site for a cr@p paying McJob.

A friend of mine became a floorwalker at the local 6th form college.

He thoroughly enjoys sauntering around the library just making himself available when any of the students need help with their Office apps etc.

Gets around £28,000 I believe.

Comment

Tube driver?

Get in to training it rather than delivering it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        Imagine you're a coder but have had enough of IT, the money isn't that important to you anymore but you need to carry on working for another 10 years.

Is there anything that would pay, say £30-40k pa for which you would be suited without retraining?
        What are your hobbies?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

I can't help feeling the choice is stick with the status quo. get a plan b together or just site for a cr@p paying McJob.
          How good is your DIY and how much capital do you have? Should be relatively easy to make £15-£20K profit per house after legal expenses / costs if you can do a lot of renovation work yourself. Twice and year and you've got your income.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
            How good is your DIY and how much capital do you have? Should be relatively easy to make £15-£20K profit per house after legal expenses / costs if you can do a lot of renovation work yourself. Twice and year and you've got your income.
            Pretty good DIY. Can plaster and build walls. No good at plumbing or electrics though.

Unfortunately my money's tied up in the old cottage I've just bought. That's a home though, not something I plan on selling any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              What are your hobbies?
              This.

If a decent salary isn't totally required (i.e. you've got enough of a nest egg to see you through some leaner times), then the best way forward is to largely ignore your existing skills and find something you're really passionate about. Volunteer at a local homeless shelter, old folks home, a veterinary practice/animal rescue centre etc. Even though you're volunteering, you'd be keeping yourself active whilst doing some good. From there, it may lead onto gainful employment, perhaps part-time or with a nominal salary.

I suppose it's old adage of "find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life".

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Tube driver?

My cousin works for one of the big providers. Must look her up - there could be some mileage in that.
                Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 26 April 2017, 12:53.

Comment

7 crafty ways to boost your income without paying tax! | Daily Mail Online

Still cider and perry is charged at £40.38 per 100 litres for drinks between 1.2 per cent and 7.5 per cent alcohol by volume (abv) and £61.04 for stronger ciders.

But an exemption was introduced in 1976 to encourage farmers to keep small orchards and preserve habitat for wildlife.

It would also be a bureaucratic headache for the taxman to pursue every tiny cider producer for duty.

The tax exemption came under threat two years ago when the European Union tried to axe the benefit in an attempt to harmonise the UK's excise rules with the rest of Europe. But following fierce opposition, this has been put on hold for now.

The Campaign for Real Ale says someone producing fewer than 12,000 pints a year (33 pints a day) would be saving up to £2,800 in tax.
                  Hic
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Tube driver?

If you're into delivering a job for the postoffice could be right up your street.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X