• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corbyn wants four new bank holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corbyn wants four new bank holidays

General election 2017: Labour wants four new bank holidays - BBC News

Get in Corbyn!

This is what Corbyn can do if he gets in, promises that are decisive and benefits the masses in general rather than just the vote bank benefiting.

Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Free unicorns too?

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Doesn't matter what policies he proposes, no matter how sensible, there are some who will reject them 100% without consideration, because only the greedy, lying, cheating Tory party are allowed to rule, in their eyes. (Or at least until the BNP start fielding candidates)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Makes sense. The UK's workforce spend the most hours on the job yet is one of the most unproductive countries in the EU.

But then again perhaps we find family life miserable.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Whilst the four days are quite cute from the perspective of them being each of the UK's saint's days, the actual timing of the days is rather unfortunate.

St David - 1 March
          St Patrick - 17 March
          St George - 23 April

These are too close to each other, Easter and May Day

St Andrew - 30 November

Not a bad time of year, in the fallow period between August and Christmas, but isn't it already observed in Scotland so they won't benefit?

So, Corbyn's proposal essentially front loads holidays to the beginning of the year.

Comment

Permies might 'gain' 4 extra statutory days, but they will lose company holidays; those employers giving 25 days + 8 bank holidays today, will simply offer 21 days plus bank holidays going forward. The poorer workers, such as shop workers, won't gain anyway as they don't with many of the bank holidays we have today. Just Labour's way to try and buy some votes off the dumb

Thankfully as a contractor this won't impact me too much - just give me a few more days to polish my gold hoard
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Whilst the four days are quite cute from the perspective of them being each of the UK's saint's days, the actual timing of the days is rather unfortunate.

St Patrick - 17 March
              Yes, ask any Irishman, the 18th should be the day off to recover from the 17th.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                General election 2017: Labour wants four new bank holidays - BBC News

Get in Corbyn!

This is what Corbyn can do if he gets in, promises that are decisive and benefits the masses in general rather than just the vote bank benefiting.

Vote Corbyn! He won't give you jobs, but he will give you four extra days off!
                You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Like they had in the seventies.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Permies might 'gain' 4 extra statutory days, but they will lose company holidays; those employers giving 25 days + 8 bank holidays today, will simply offer 21 days plus bank holidays going forward. The poorer workers, such as shop workers, won't gain anyway as they don't with many of the bank holidays we have today. Just Labour's way to try and buy some votes off the dumb
                    WWS. In any case, bank holidays suck because everyone has the same effing day off. If you're just going to sit on your sun lounger all day before having a BBQ it's not so bad, but if you're foolish enough to set foot outside your own curtilage, it's gridlocked misery. I'd ban them all and increase the mandatory holiday amount.

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Thankfully as a contractor this won't impact me too much - just give me a few more days to polish my gold hoard
                    Knocks a 2 grand hole in your turnover which you might prefer to sustain in January whilst sipping rum in the Caribbean though, no?

Comment

Working...
                    X