• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump puts EU ahead of Britain for trade deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear tm this....

Comment

I won't believe it till I read it in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        The rules are made by the bigger party. Negotiation 101.
        This.

It's like in the poker game of life, we were drawing to an inside straight which got busted on the river whilst the EU already had a full house. They know it, and now we're trying to bluff them off their winning hand.

They are going to call us down all day long. And we're going to lose. Big.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
          This.

It's like in the poker game of life, we were drawing to an inside straight which got busted on the river whilst the EU already had a full house. They know it, and now we're trying to bluff them off their winning hand.

They are going to call us down all day long. And we're going to lose. Big.
          Nah thats bollox mate.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            As a member we are not allowed to negotiate external trade deals. So we have to leave first.
            Well **** off then 😂
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Well **** off then 😂
              Brexiters will be complaining next about "vindictive EU" preventing UK from negotiating separate deals with different member states...

Comment

Trump puts EU ahead of Britain for trade deal

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Brexiters are complaining as usual
                FTFY
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So over the last 50 years the EU hasn't managed to get a trade deal with the US, the worlds largest economy.

Guess that means we're trading with the US under WTO at the moment. How important are these deals really?

55% of my sales were to the US last month, 30% to Europe ( ex UK ). There's no tariffs involved.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    55% of my sales were to the US last month, 30% to Europe ( ex UK ). There's no tariffs involved.
                    Very good!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      So over the last 50 years the EU hasn't managed to get a trade deal with the US, the worlds largest economy.

Guess that means we're trading with the US under WTO at the moment. How important are these deals really?

It depends. I also do most of my business with the US. Unless you're operating in a highly regulated area, or physically delivering within the US, you probably wouldn't notice the presence or absence of a formal trade agreement. Visa liberalisation would be an obvious example. They're important for goods in general (where tariffs are more important), particularly those that involve international supply chains and where margins are tight, and they can be important for particular, highly regulated, service sectors (where non-tariff barriers are more important). The point of a trade in services agreement (like TiSA) is to allow for negotiation over regulatory standards. However, that regulation is increasingly global in scope. Under the WTO, services are covered by the General Agreement on Trade in Services. Certainly, trade deals are worth pursuing, but a deal with the US wouldn't be towards the top of the list IMO, as the tariffs are generally small and our regulatory standards are similar. There are sector-specific risks with a US trade deal too.

Comment

Working...
                      X