• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I like Corbyn but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A question that baffled me when living in Norway. A small shipping company just outside Bergen with whom I worked with casting and milling valves and other widgets for the marine world. Shipping (ha ha) stock world wide weekly. Got to be one of the most expensive countries in the world to manufacture, right? Everything about their product could have been copied in China. Never happened. What gives?! Two words: Quality & reputation. The UK has sacrificed both for a quick buck to please the electorate and shareholders alike.

If you think China is going to overtake Germany's car manufacturing prowess, think again. I thought Telsa might be in with a chance, but not no more.
    We also have niche companies making things like folding bikes, vacuum cleaners (the other brand used by office cleaners) and random things like ball bearings.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You can talk Britain up or talk Britain down, but really, what's the point?
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        That's like saying if a company has a mad MD, the company should be shut down. Or if a football club gets relegated, they close the club entirely.
        Not at all. It's like saying the company's product is crap. So I'm quite happy seeing them hire a lunatic as MD who will run it into the ground, because it means they'll quit deceiving unsuspecting consumers with their rubbish.

Labour was selling crap before Corbyn came along. They always have.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I suggest 40% rate of tax max, personal allowance should be available to every taxpayer - it's only fair innit.

Tax on dividends should factor in corp tax paid to the penny, then it can be "aligned" (after factoring in corp tax) with income tax levels, that would make the dividend tax rate 25%, just like in high-taxing Germany.
          Well then don't bother voting for Labour or the LibDems. Both of them will screw you on all of the above.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            A question that baffled me when living in Norway. A small shipping company just outside Bergen with whom I worked with casting and milling valves and other widgets for the marine world. Shipping (ha ha) stock world wide weekly. Got to be one of the most expensive countries in the world to manufacture, right? Everything about their product could have been copied in China. Never happened. What gives?! Two words: Quality & reputation. The UK has sacrificed both for a quick buck to please the electorate and shareholders alike.
            Jesus *****, save the date. A post from Scooter that I agree with.

+1 no point trying to compete with a communist/3rd world country on price, the only thing we've got to trade on is quality. A point sadly missed by too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Well then don't bother voting for Labour or the LibDems. Both of them will screw you on all of the above.
              Cons already screwed me, the level of tax now at limit where total take wpuld drop if it is increase further

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Cons already screwed me, the level of tax now at limit where total take wpuld drop if it is increase further
                "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"
                Man Up Alexei. We have a NHS to save you know!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I like Corbyn but...

....so does Dawn Butler.

Thicker than a thick thing.

Did anyone else catch her being interviewed on R4 last night? Before I turned it off she opined that this election was a Tory plot to undermine democracy (presumably by winning some seats from Labour), and that Labour would reverse the years of Tory mis-rule by being fairer.

Utter car crash.

Dawn Butler MP interviewed on Radio 4's PM - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    Jesus *****, save the date. A post from Scooter that I agree with.

+1 no point trying to compete with a communist/3rd world country on price, the only thing we've got to trade on is quality. A point sadly missed by too many.
                    +1.

We do make some quality products, funnily enough very popular worldwide, regardless of the cost
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      +1.

We do make some quality products, funnily enough very popular worldwide, regardless of the cost
                      Luxury cars, what else?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X