• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Pro Contractors please guide- Vote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Winsome View Post
    haha. well said mate. Guess I am too old a hand for the cutthroat world of contracting..thing is my other half sees those fancy cars and second and third homes of our contractor friends and wants me to be in the river.. Women..
    You know there are female contractors as well? Some like me post on here under specifically female usernames but many others don't.

So as your other half thinks contracting is good for you to do,then it's as good for her to do as well.

The fact that one of you will be earning a steady high income is even better as you both will have sufficient money while on the bench as one of you will always be earning.

So next time she says or hints that you should go contracting, tell her a female poster has told her to become one herself. Even better show her this post.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There's a lot of love on this thread!
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        As a contractor you are despised , permies pick up on you, and you really have to have tough skin otherwise, one wrong word and you are booted out.
        But you are despised and picked on by both contractors and perms on here
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          There's a lot of love on this thread!
          No, that's just on your monitor, please wipe it off.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You know there are female contractors as well? Some like me post on here under specifically female usernames but many others don't.

So as your other half thinks contracting is good for you to do,then it's as good for her to do as well.

The fact that one of you will be earning a steady high income is even better as you both will have sufficient money while on the bench as one of you will always be earning.

So next time she says or hints that you should go contracting, tell her a female poster has told her to become one herself. Even better show her this post.
            Or she could take the easy route and divorce him.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              No, that's just on your monitor, please wipe it off.
              It's actually on his glasses.

Comment

Winsome, change your job if you are that bored of it but stay permie.

Or quit and go travelling to "find yourself".

Good Luck.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Mate, if you ask your potential competitors whether they think you should start competing with them, what do you expect them to say?

If you didn't think that through, you probably aren't ready to compete with them.

You aren't too old. That's absurd.

But no one should walk away from that salary / perks for £350 / day. No one should even think about it, unless they just want the freedom / lifestyle and don't care about the money. I'm not sure why this even has to be said.

£350 / day is £1750 / week. You have to work 40 weeks just to match the salary. You probably have to work 50 weeks to match the salary plus pension. As a perm you work 46 weeks. And you don't have to worry about going a month, or three, or nine, between contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    It is never too late but it is not just about rates, it is about an entire life style change.
                    this.

What I say to people asking about contracting is don't do it for the money. Money can be good when the rate is good and you are in contract but that is no guarantee. I went contracting for the freedom and choice it gives me.

Comment

Basic calculations show it isn't worth it.

assuming 220 days billing that would be 77,000, subtract accountancy fees and a pension you're already at 70K.

aint worth it

with travelling expenses you will be worse off.

you will also need to factor in bench time, although in my 15 years contracting I only had 3 months on the bench.

For the reasons above I too went perm. I calculated I would only be slightly better off and I would have to travel. Unless you can guarantee contracts within driving distance it isn't worth it.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X