• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Pro Contractors please guide- Vote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70k salary + final salary pension vs 350 a day!!! And you want advice?!? Even without the pension I'd say "no" as that rate is far too low, but add in the pension and you'd be nuts to jump.

I'm on 550 a day, and if I had a perm offer of 70k plus final salary pension that would seriously tempt me.

Jump if you want, but you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Winsome View Post
      Vote
      Vote Brenda!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No

Comment

Thanks guys

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. The perspective from experienced contractors is exactly what I needed. I can see now that what I have inst too bad for my age and experience. I have almost reached my conclusion and your valuable feedback's and perspective are very very useful. Keep them coming

Thanks Again
          Winsome

Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. The perspective from experienced contractors is exactly what I needed. I can see now that what I have inst too bad for my age and experience. I have almost reached my conclusion and your valuable feedback's and perspective are very very useful. Keep them coming

Thanks Again
            Winsome

When you've worked out how to add a poll to this thread, you may think about being a contractor
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              When you've worked out how to add a poll to this thread, you may think about being a contractor
              haha. well said mate. Guess I am too old a hand for the cutthroat world of contracting..thing is my other half sees those fancy cars and second and third homes of our contractor friends and wants me to be in the river.. Women..

Comment

The things that your other half doesn't see are:
                1. Bench time between contracts
                2. What our wonderful government have done in penalising contractors over the last few years
                3. Travelling for work
                4. The length of time your contracting friends have been working for
                5. The area that they are contracting in.

Having things like multiple properties isn't about throwing money around, for many who do it, it's because they don't have a final salary pension, they need something that is a reliable long term investment.

£70k + final salary pension + health ins is not something to give up lightly. If you don't hate your job, dread every day of going there and don't mind the commute, I'd say you need to stick with it.

TL;dr
                No.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

haha. well said mate. Guess I am too old a hand for the cutthroat world of contracting..thing is my other half sees those fancy cars and second and third homes of our contractor friends and wants me to be in the river.. Women..
                  Just because they have these shiny trinkets it does not mean they actually own any of them.

I know a number of people who appear to have big houses but in reality are doing interest only mortgages and so will never own the home - they are hoping that they can sell and make money on the equity in the house.

Big gamble as they could get to 55 and find they have nothing.

A 70k final salary pension is worth staying permie for.

Comment

As a contractor you are despised , permies pick up on you, and you really have to have tough skin otherwise, one wrong word and you are booted out.

Comment

I vote AndyW

Comment

Working...
                      X