• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really good read, got me thinking a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      Full dressers?
      No, regular tourers.

I prefer to stay in a hotel at my destination, rather than drag it along with me.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Kids.

Not a punched card between 'em.

Now, when I were a lad...

nomadd liked this post

Comment

I find it interesting that this seems to be about programming more than IT in general. I found that after 5 years of programming (PL/1 IBM Mainframe) it all got a bit boring and I had no desire to start completely from scratch. I moved to a DBA role and have felt that this normally expands and progresses rather than starting from scratch all the time although I'm now seeing the programmer mentality creeping in which seems to create a whole new database platform to fill a small gap in functionality of the existing ones. These address the gap but throw away all the good features of the existing solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

Ah, the smell of punched card chad in the morning, it smells of ........ History
            FTFY
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I enjoyed being a manager, but much prefer coding. My clients will say "can you do this and this?" on some new bit of technology. I just say yes... and enjoy the pressure of having to deliver.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                My clients will say "can you do this and this?"..
                ..and this. ..and this. ..and this.

No Direction and Control here, your Honour. None whatsoever.

I swept those floors because..? They were dirty!

nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I enjoyed being a manager, but much prefer coding. My clients will say "can you do this and this?" on some new bit of technology. I just say yes... and enjoy the pressure of having to deliver.
                  I enjoyed managing, and studied a management degree, which was surprisingly interesting. Found that I enjoyed developing more though.

A mate moved up to Newcastle to take on a management role within his company. First day he had two women come into his office, they where arguing and crying. Obviously a long standing feud and saw the new manager as an opportunity.

Anyway, he asked to go back to programming before the day was out. If anyone is interested the women that wasn't the bosses daughter was let go.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    There was a "motorbike regatta", where hundreds of blokes dressed up in 30-40's dapper gear, rode into town on their vintage motor bikes.

Admittedly some of them didn't look ridiculous, but a lot of them did.

I guess you're talking about the DGR www.gentlemansride.com the charity ride raising millions globally for mens cancer charities. It was a lot of fun

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      ..and this. ..and this. ..and this.

No Direction and Control here, your Honour. None whatsoever.
                      Don't care - 'cos I lived in a civilised country with reasonable tax laws, not your IR35 raddled hell-hole of a land.

I did nearly end up doing some R. But thankfully the work turned out not to be necessary.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X