• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

I did a very short stint with two other guys last year and we were all way too long in the tooth to put up with the pups from PA and Deloitte running around like chaos monkeys.
    Totally agree with this.

I received a LinkedIn request a few months ago from a young Project Manager that had recently joined the customer's business.

I did not accept it, but on checking out his profile it became apparent that he had started off life as a Sales Advisor for Habitat.

He then progressed to working as an Events Coordinator at a company based in London then miraculously made the quantum leap to becoming a fairly vague and unspecified sounding "Department Manager" within the Client company.

After that he progressed, somehow, to becoming a Rollout Manager for a system with which he has never been even remotely acquainted.
    There is clearly an unhealthy amount of Nepotism at play.

That said, it does introduce a comic level of confusion when he attempts to introduce to the process suggestions and remarks that do little but highlight the colossal inappropriateness of his appointment.

Everything, thankfully, works despite rather than because of these morons. But it is a sad indictment of British Management that so few of those recruited nowadays have so little understanding of the processes and technologies they are meant to be organising.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Totally agree with this.

I received a LinkedIn request a few months ago from a young Project Manager that had recently joined the customer's business.

I did not accept it, but on checking out his profile it became apparent that he had started off life as a Sales Advisor for Habitat.

He then progressed to working as an Events Coordinator at a company based in London then miraculously made the quantum leap to becoming a fairly vague and unspecified sounding "Department Manager" within the Client company.

After that he progressed, somehow, to becoming a Rollout Manager for a system with which he has never been even remotely acquainted.
      There is clearly an unhealthy amount of Nepotism at play.

That said, it does introduce a comic level of confusion when he attempts to introduce to the process suggestions and remarks that do little but highlight the colossal inappropriateness of his appointment.

Everything, thankfully, works despite rather than because of these morons. But it is a sad indictment of British Management that so few of those recruited nowadays have so little understanding of the processes and technologies they are meant to be organising.

Yeah i think one of the challenges is that companies have 'graduate fast track schemes' which they think by picking the brightest and best of the new young graduates and putting them on some sort of mgmt fast track course they will somehow become great managers.

May have been true 20 years ago but today because
      a) Degrees are so easy to come by
      b) University life is now so sheltered from the real world

These people are in the main completely unsuited to any sort of mgmt position until they have at least 10 years of life experience.

A number of the ones I have seen seem to think if they talk a lot and ask a lot of questions it will be fine.

I expect someone in a position of responsibility to know most of the answers not expect everyone else to supply them

But hey your views may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        Interesting how half of your text serves to publicise your elevated financial status.

So you are here to show off your flash motor in the ALDI car park, are you?
        I guess either I didn't make the point clear enough or you missed it

regarding cars, yes, nowadays, these days we have nice cars, which are sustainable, and despite liking cars they're not the be all and end all, and I would have no problem to down size.

A couple of years ago we were driving somewhere and oldest daughter laughed at a family in a smaller/older car, I said to her, you ever do that again, and we'll sell this thing and buy one of those and you'll learn to appreciate what you have

needless to say, she didn't do it again

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          I guess either I didn't make the point clear enough or you missed it

regarding cars, yes, nowadays, these days we have nice cars, which are sustainable, and despite liking cars they're not the be all and end all, and I would have no problem to down size.

A couple of years ago we were driving somewhere and oldest daughter laughed at a family in a smaller/older car, I said to her, you ever do that again, and we'll sell this thing and buy one of those and you'll learn to appreciate what you have

needless to say, she didn't do it again

Milan.
          Yup you gotta keep it real for the kids.

One of the problems you do have as a successful person with a bit of dollar is making the kids understand that it was hard earned and they may live a cushy life now but when they start out on their own it may not be so easy.

Comment

as soon as they are old enough they'll be getting Saturday jobs at the local shopping center, that will go someway to show them how difficult it is to earn money, and how tough life is in those jobs

they're already looking forward to getting Saturday jobs

the oldest is in the local grammar school and the youngest will do the exam next year

when the oldest was preparing for the exam I told her, you work hard and pass this exam and get into that school, you will then have choices, it'll be your choice if you're a lawyer or a binman, but, if you don't work hard at school, you won't have any choices, you'll have to take any job you're given

Milan.

Comment

yup my oldest will be waiting tables/collecting glasses at the local as soon as she is old enough.

bar work/something where you have to interact with people gives great life experience I reckon

Comment

Eldest works in the chip shop.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Eldest works in the chip shop.
                  I'm jealous, have they got any jobs going

I'd love to work in a fish and chip shop, I'd eat everything and the batter bits that they throw away :-)

Do you get free fish and chips ?

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    I'm jealous, have they got any jobs going

I'd love to work in a fish and chip shop, I'd eat everything and the batter bits that they throw away :-)

Do you get free fish and chips ?

Milan
                    Yes Friday & Saturday nights are unpopular shifts.

Yes she comes home with a generous fish Supper.

Pay is poor but she enjoys it.

She now understands why I say its good to put the effort in in school. I remind her she has it easy I used to clean an old people's home to get through college.

So far she has got A*s and nothing under a B. - very happy dad.

Told her she needs to get a first at UNI though, same as my cycling proficiency!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

At the end of the day the only thing you can really give your kids is an education.

Comment

Working...
                      X