• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've reached the point where my prescriptions are free and I can save a third off my rail fare with a pensioners railcard

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
      I'm not Australian. You are projecting your failure vibe again. You did not come first. Others have achieved more than you with less effort and more panache. Now jog on back to your ZX81 simulator and try to impress your fugly Mrs with your shallow grasp of clever stuff.
      Oh dear! Bit of a petulant loser response. Nil point. Thanks for playing though
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        ... Now jog on back to your ZX81 simulator...
        Who needs a simulator? I've got the real thing. Including 16K Rampack.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Mods,

can we move this thread to the depressed forum.

What's going on, 17 tears ago I joined a Contractor's forum to discuss materialism and success, and now it's turned into a knacker's yard !

It has gone from a combination of Only Fools and Horse mixed with The New Statesman, to Steptoe and Son !

Milan.
          Last edited by milanbenes; 21 April 2017, 07:40.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            I guess I feel like John Terry does at Chelsea right now! Past it. Legs have gone.
            don't worry I regularly find myself trudging down corridors mumbling * I'm too old for this sh1t ! * and Im in my forties.

I did a very short stint with two other guys last year and we were all way too long in the tooth to put up with the pups from PA and Deloitte running around like chaos monkeys.

We holed ourselves up in a corner and watched the pattern of agile as these idiots thought it.

1) Turn up at 8 to find all your Jenkins builds were ****ed beyond broken.
            2) Work till 4pm running around with hair on fire fixing what ever was broken in the code.
            3) Wander off for a Vape to figure out why your team torched its own code
            4) work till way past 9 actually doing what you needed to start at 8 the previous morning
            5) destroy your code at 10 because you are too tired/fed up/wired on coffee to function
            6) go home and repeat 1...

We stood there for a week and figured out exactly when the issues would occur and normally who would be the idiot that lit the fuse. We worked no more than 7 hours a day and went to the pub every lunch time...

We didn't fit in.

My colleagues word at the time was thank **** I don't fit because if I was as stupid at my age as you are now I would belong in an asylum

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Oh dear! Bit of a petulant loser response. Nil point. Thanks for playing though
              You are "the emperors new clothes" in action.

You think you're on top of things but almost every post you make is a d1ck move. But you cannot help but do one after the other after the other.

Comment

oh dear what has this come to.

You know what I contracted in Belgium 15 years ago, at that time I had been contracting 3 years, and didn't own a car. I took the bus every day to the client site, a 40 minutes bus ride. My contractor colleagues used to tease me, why didn't I have a car and why didn't I have something shiny like them, well the reason was, I was saving every penny to pay for my house in cash as I always operated with the approach that contracting will end next year (it never did) and I would live like on a permy salary and bank the rest

At the client site, (I was 29 at the time) there was a security guard, everybody walked past him with their noses in the air, I used to say hello and sometimes stop and talk to him. He once said to me, look at me, I am 55 and I am a security guard. He said, 20 years back, he was a captain of the big tanker boats on the canals for Shell, and owned a brand new Jaguar, he said look at me now - I showed sympathy through my expressions but inside, I swore to myself, this is absolutely the example I don't want to become.

I sense we have a few of those security guards in this thread.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.
                  Keep your expectations in check milan.

I fear that you lack both the physique and intellect to manage the role of security guard.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Keep your expectations in check milan.

I fear that you lack both the physique and intellect to manage the role of security guard.

HTH

ha ha very good :-)

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      oh dear what has this come to.

You know what I contracted in Belgium 15 years ago, at that time I had been contracting 3 years, and didn't own a car. I took the bus every day to the client site, a 40 minutes bus ride. My contractor colleagues used to tease me, why didn't I have a car and why didn't I have something shiny like them, well the reason was, I was saving every penny to pay for my house in cash as I always operated with the approach that contracting will end next year (it never did) and I would live like on a permy salary and bank the rest

At the client site, (I was 29 at the time) there was a security guard, everybody walked past him with their noses in the air, I used to say hello and sometimes stop and talk to him. He once said to me, look at me, I am 55 and I am a security guard. He said, 20 years back, he was a captain of the big tanker boats on the canals for Shell, and owned a brand new Jaguar, he said look at me now - I showed sympathy through my expressions but inside, I swore to myself, this is absolutely the example I don't want to become.

Milan.
                      Interesting how half of your text serves to publicise your elevated financial status.

So you are here to show off your flash motor in the ALDI car park, are you?

Comment

Working...
                      X