• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And yet, and yet... I'm the one doing cutting edge work from home while you commute to your miserable, high stress, code maintenance role for a lot less money.
    Wake up, smell the coffee, switch on.
    Did you ever fix the column widths in the end?

Comment

And yet, and yet... I'm the one doing cutting edge work from home while you commute to your miserable, high stress, code maintenance role for a lot less money.
      Wake up, smell the coffee, switch on.
      I work from home in the med assguru. I am as close to "working from the beach" as is doable. I am 50 metres from the water.

You can't see beyond your nose can you. You did not win. You lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        I'm certainly surprised how old everyone is (myself included).
        I'm really surprised how quickly it's all happened.
        I'm sure I was only thirty-something a short time ago.

Enjoy yourself.....it's later than you think.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
          I work from home in the med assguru. I am as close to "working from the beach" as is doable. I am 50 metres from the water.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            This thread has particularly interesting timing for me.

I was 50 yesterday. I absolutely dread the idea of carrying on in this lark for much longer. I have completely failed to keep up with the latest fashions in technology and feel more like a dinosaur every day. Luckily, my current contract expires at the end of June. Given my ageing skill set, I suspect this may be my last ever role in IT.

I am both delighted, and nervous at the same time.

I've got a few years of war chest put away, so money is no immediate problem. Got a couple of houses, and can sell either and live the rest of my life comfortably.

If all pans out as it seems to be at the moment, I should enjoy a lovely summer off, and will then have to work out what to do with the rest of my life. That is the next challenge as I haven't got a clue.
            At least you made it to 50 (contract career I mean, not life!). I'm in a very similar boat in my early-mid 40s.

"I am both delighted, and nervous at the same time." -- pretty much sums my feelings up too. There's more to life than this, but I'm not stupid enough to leave my high-rate cushy contract - I'm waiting to be pushed out, soon enough I reckon, else I will never find out what else life has to offer me.

Comment

Glad to know you work from home too. Home can be anywhere you want. For now access to the best private schools is a priority. Shame about the monkey work you do though. The downside of working from anywhere in the world is that you've got to be cutting edge. It's only a matter of time before Anand from Pune undercuts you
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                I'm really surprised how quickly it's all happened.
                I'm sure I was only thirty-something a short time ago.

Enjoy yourself.....it's later than you think.....
                Me and the missus still have our fun days out.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Glad to know you work from home too. Home can be anywhere you want. For now access to the best private schools is a priority. Shame about the monkey work you do though. The downside of working from anywhere in the world is that you've got to be cutting edge. It's only a matter of time before Anand from Pune undercuts you
                  Oh come on. Really? I do this work because I love it. I only come out my shell in high stress think on your feet environments. It's a mans job assguru, you wouldn't get it.

Comment

Oh come on. Really? I do this work because I love it. I only come out my shell in high stress think on your feet environments. It's a mans job assguru, you wouldn't get it.
                    Thanks for your input, beach bum.
                    It's like you think anyone believes your Schtick.
                    Thought you'd gone back to Oz anyway
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      By any chance did you do well in a rigorous maths degree?
                      You do know this is sas you are talking to here?

He could not be trusted to count his fingers and toes and get the same number twice.

And the nearest he gets to "interviewing" anyone is when he lifts the front gate barrier to let them into the facility.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X