• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Showing your age granddad.
    comfortable and convenient, they go with my tartan slippers & Pipe.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
      Are you sha*ing all your co-workers partners?
      Are you sha*ing all your co-workers parents?

Youse Bastards just reminded me I'm 59 next month

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        You have no idea how difficult it is to get Clients to install a chair lift...
        Can't they just install it next to the commode

Comment

Interestingly enough the point i was trying to make to older coders is that no expects you to know all the answers.

Just get involved and use your experience to help.

It is not a threat unless you make it one.

Please.

Comment

Originally posted by djf View Post
            Can't they just install it next to the commode
            You might be on to something there - a new post-Agile paradigm: Commode Programming. *

(* Laptop and wireless network connection required.)
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

When I was 27 I thought I would semi-retire at 33 with around a £1k/month residual income. It was a very real plan, to pay off my one BTL and play golf most of the time. And to live with my parents.
              When I was 33 I realised having a wife meant having responsibilities - a mortgage and stuff - so I thought I might semi-retire at 38 or so.
              As our babies grew into toddlers I realised I wouldn't semi-retire until perhaps 43 or 44.
              When we had more kids my plans were amended to probably retire at 50.

I'm in my 40s now and still aiming for 50. A few years later my kids will need financial assistance for Uni/cars/first homes/weddings/life.

At which point I might just leave them all my worldly assets, move back in with my parents and go play golf all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                When I was 27 I thought I would semi-retire at 33 with around a £1k/month residual income. It was a very real plan, to pay off my one BTL and play golf most of the time. And to live with my parents.
                When I was 33 I realised having a wife meant having responsibilities - a mortgage and stuff - so I thought I might semi-retire at 38 or so.
                As our babies grew into toddlers I realised I wouldn't semi-retire until perhaps 43 or 44.
                When we had more kids my plans were amended to probably retire at 50.

I'm in my 40s now and still aiming for 50. A few years later my kids will need financial assistance for Uni/cars/first homes/weddings/life.

At which point I might just leave them all my worldly assets, move back in with my parents and go play golf all day long.
                Your poor parents - I guess your aim is to kill them.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Closer to 60 than to 55, haven't lost any of the appetites you mention. Actually could retire now but having too much fun and retirement will be better if I keep making money a little longer. Also helping my kids to get professionally entrenched, and helping a couple retired guys to get a few hours here and there to keep from calcifying. Good for them, good for me, there's a lot of satisfaction in that.

To each his own. I like my work. Helps that I'm still smarter than all the kids even though I've forgotten 3/4 of what I once knew. Ego-centric enough to like blowing them away every once in a while.
                  Yeah, I relate to that. I now style myself "subject matter expert" and keep doing pretty much the same thing as the last 40 years but much more relaxed and enjoy what now amounts to a paid vacation rather than a "career" any more. And once they get to feel less uncomfortable about the miserable old git that sits by the window, the young guys are quite respectful and seem to enjoy the war stories you tell when explaining about why something has to be like it is.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    ... And once they get to feel less uncomfortable about the miserable old git that sits by the window, the young guys are quite respectful and seem to enjoy the war stories you tell when explaining about why something has to be like it is.
                    Exactly this. I think it's incumbent upon us to teach the brightest of the young some cynicism. It can only benefit society.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working from home is the answer to all the issues in this thread.
                      In What other career can someone in their elder years work from home earning tuliploads of cash.?
                      Make it so.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X