• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50+ but sit at home in my shorts writing SQL/code and taking meetings. Just pointed out the legacy system I have supported for 2 decades needed shooting 15 years ago but they wouldn't let me.

4 years & I get my pension.

8 Years & mortgage paid off.

I have a boss older than me & colleagues the same age. It's tedious they are all playing politics.

I preferred working with the younger ones much more fun.I had a great series of projects working with 20 somethings they did as they were asked, contributed good efforts to the project, let me do my bit properly and it all worked.

The current project they doubled the scope 2 days before the data load.Then moaned at me because they hadn't loaded half the parent records, pity I emailed them before we loaded with a list of what they were missing.

Thing is I could jack it in and get a job in B&Q but I won't this is less hassle.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      Only a few months away now. I always swore I'd be retired by 50 but it's not looking likely. Still need the money, but my god am I losing the will. The thought of going through the motions for that next contract, being interviewed by people in their 30's (or less), fills me with dread, as does sitting down pair-programming with somebody young enough to be my son or daughter. Anybody else been through this?
      I hear you, brother.

I also thought the Home Computing boom of the 1980s would've made us all millionaire many times over. Still, every month, if not every week, I hear the clarion call from a concern relative, love one or spouse about the future of software developer. "Why don't you become a manager?", "You need to become more senor?". I thought to myself that I would move to a technical leader or something, but it never officially happens. Now, I think I will move sideways to being some "ivory tower" solution architect, but it is hard getting those opportunities as a contractor software developer.

I sympathise with you too, I'd rather not wipe the snot off the nose of the next indoctrinated "Thought Robot Worker". In them 1980's days, Agile was not a thing, who gave a damn about waterfall (SDLC methodology)? It was all Jackson Structured Programming (Remember that process?). And functional programming was an academics wet dream, the doors were just opening into Object Oriented Programming (OOP). The sillicon chips were all 8-bit Z-80 and 6502 microprocessor and we loved it! `Sabre Wulf' on the ZX Spectrum and Elite on the trusty BBC Model B computer ruled the world!

If you find the answer the 50+ programmer conundrum, please let us all know.
      Last edited by rocktronAMP; 19 April 2017, 15:36. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Only a few months away now. I always swore I'd be retired by 50 but it's not looking likely. Still need the money, but my god am I losing the will. The thought of going through the motions for that next contract, being interviewed by people in their 30's (or less), fills me with dread, as does sitting down pair-programming with somebody young enough to be my son or daughter. Anybody else been through this?
        It could be worse, you could be permie
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          It could be worse, you could be permie
          I've worked with 50+ year old permies.

Most enjoyable - they don't like meetings.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan (age 44).
            Wet behind the ears...
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I've worked with 50+ year old permies.

Most enjoyable - they don't like meetings.
              Meetings from home are great.

Feet up, posting on CUK in your shorts.

Occasionally lob a grenade in. Job done.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Meetings from home are great.

Feet up, posting on CUK in your shorts.

Occasionally lob a grenade in. Job done.
                I prefer to be fully clothed so I can sneak out every now and again.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I prefer to be fully clothed so I can sneak out every now and again.
                  They are shorts not underpants, I do pop down the Gym for a long lunch.

Just have a pair of cargo pants you can slip on over them.

Comment

Only a few months away now. I always swore I'd be retired by 50 but it's not looking likely. [snip - the progressively more depressing parts]
                    I felt like you did...

..43 years ago.

Boy are you are in for a surprise when you hit 90.

You have no idea how difficult it is to get Clients to install a chair lift...
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      They are shorts not underpants, I do pop down the Gym for a long lunch.

Just have a pair of cargo pants you can slip on over them.
                      Showing your age granddad.

Comment

Working...
                      X