• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

May signals She won't give more brexit details

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    if 25% of the German work force are on 9.50eur an hour, then how come when I contracted in FaM ten years ago the local LIDL offered cashier jobs at 13eur an hour ?

I have a very strong feeling you are talking total cr@p

history has shown one of the attributes of the German success is their long term planning

they are and always have been, investing in the future, and forward looking 2, 3, or 4 generations

the low interest rates, this is a result of the financial crisis, every country has low interest rates, even the UK !

so, let's see some evidence to substantiate your fiction

Milan.
    fact

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_average_wage

UK has lower average wages than Germany.

QED

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      if 25% of the German work force are on 9.50eur an hour, then how come when I contracted in FaM ten years ago the local LIDL offered cashier jobs at 13eur an hour ?

I have a very strong feeling you are talking total cr@p

history has shown one of the attributes of the German success is their long term planning

they are and always have been, investing in the future, and forward looking 2, 3, or 4 generations

the low interest rates, this is a result of the financial crisis, every country has low interest rates, even the UK !

so, let's see some evidence to substantiate your fiction

Milan.
      Sorry Milan, I love Germany (and its people) but the idea that Germany has a grand long-term strategic plan for the country which benefits its trading partners is, at this time, a ridiculous notion.

The Germans may have had the resemblance of one for re-unification (West German know-how with cheap East German labour) but the current plan looks more like the final stage of a parasitic ponzi scheme, at the cost of its trading partners, rather than a work of genius.

You can talk about German success but I prefer to also look at the balanced, overall picture of German failure also as they are extremely good at marketing.

Failure to trade with the rest of the work in terms of the services industry, failure for it to invest in itself (roads, schools) and to allow others to more easily invest into it.

This is the first major root cause of the trade imbalance.

In terms of high wages in Germany, its a mirage. How else can they compete with the likes of South Korea? efficiency and know-how only take you so far.

OECD (2012 statistics) state that that low-wage employment accounted for 20 percent of full-time jobs in Germany compared to 8.0 percent in Italy and 13.5 percent in Greece.

Since then Germany has implemented a minimum wage (2014-2015) and has agreed recent wage hikes for major industries but the trend is still a low wage economy with high productivity and wage rises have not tracked the increase in efficiency and output, not by a long shot.

This is the second root cause of the trade imbalance, wages have not tracked productivity (output). German output per head has simply been exceptional.

This wage deflationary spiral started with the German labour reforms in the 2003-2005 which were designed to swap high un-employment (15% at the time - a 70 year high) for higher-employment but lower wages.

This of course worked but in exchange the Germans created an internal near-deflationary bubble within the country to make it very competitive with the likes of south korea.

This is now being slowly un-wound but the problem is, as the German population will decrease by almost 1/3rd by 2050, the older Germans (or which there are currently legion) are not spending, they are simply hoarding money and not buying foreign stuff.

This is the third root causes of the current trade in-balance.

What comes next? My own prediction is that unless Germany reforms its attitude to its trading partners the bloc will eventually collapse. Ponzi pyramids only last for so long.

Germans, nice people but oh so stubborn.

In terms of the U.K economy, the British like to earn lots, borrow lots and spend lots and the economy reflects that. Bigger highs and lower lows. Warts and all.

There is no right answer as to whether the British or German economy is better for the society it serves, they simply reflects the will of its people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
        i am a reader of economics, the german economy is no miracle nirvana, like Japan was in the 1980s.

behind the marketing glitz it's a rag and bone economy.

up until fairly recently 25% of the german workforce was on 9.50 EUR per hour and due to no minimum wage over a million in 4 EUR per hour.

at the cost of the other member states Germany has:
        Then you need to keep up with what happens in the real world. Germany has a minimum wage: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindes...er_Mindestlohn
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Now we know...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Now we know...

You won't be laughing when you are interned as a potential saboteur.

Comment

Now we know...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3371...-jobs-at-risk/

TARIFF NIGHTMARE Brexit could see the cost of British-made cars rise by THOUSANDS… and put 169,000 jobs at risk

...every car sold in the UK could rise by as much as £2,370, and in turn inflate the price of parts and servicing astronomically.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Looks like the UK is heading back to the 1950's when only the well off could afford a car.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Looks like the UK is heading back to the 1950's when only the well off could afford a car.

Lots of young people have given up driving due to the cost of insurance and cycling to get around is becoming more popular....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tories will make roads safer and get the car pollution cleaned up, you've heard it on here first!!!

Comment

Then you need to keep up with what happens in the real world. Germany has a minimum wage: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindes...er_Mindestlohn
                      Hey mr, not so fast I mentioned it in my posting above.

I don't personally class this point as material anyway as the gap between productivity increases and real wages increases in Germany is chasmic.

Comment

Working...
                      X