• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning German

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning German

Gotta say, the Germans may be generally better looking than the English, drive faster cars, have larger economy, seem more friendly to foreigners, have better weather, have better roads, have snap access to the Netherlands, have legal prostitution, recover faster from total destruction after having tried to take over the world, etc.etc.etc .... but does their language suck !

I mean for every word or sentence in English , Germans have like 25 variations. It is pain remembering all rules. If they are so damn clever why don't they refractor their language ? No wonder English is language N1

Learning German makes me realise however how awful my English is. German is far more specific in description. Currently finishing A2 and my head hurts.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why would the Germans want 2nd rate British people?
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
        Gotta say, the Germans may be generally better looking than the English, drive faster cars, have larger economy, seem more friendly to foreigners, have better weather, have better roads, have snap access to the Netherlands, have legal prostitution, recover faster from total destruction after having tried to take over the world, etc.etc.etc .... but does their language suck !

I mean for every word or sentence in English , Germans have like 25 variations. It is pain remembering all rules. If they are so damn clever why don't they refractor their language ? No wonder English is language N1
        You do know that English is a Germanic language? The easiest way to spek German is to take an English sentence and then basically say it backwards and ennunciate every letter
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          You do know that English is a Germanic language? The easiest way to spek German is to take an English sentence and then basically say it backwards and ennunciate every letter
          The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as “Euro-English”.

In the first year, “s” will replace the soft “c”. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard “c” will be dropped in favour of “k”. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome “ph” will be replaced with “f”. This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent “e” in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing “th” with “z” and “w” with “v”.

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary “o” kan be dropd from vords kontaining “ou” and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

You do know that English is a Germanic language?
            With the exception of Icelandic, all the other Germanic languages did simplify themselves over the centuries. I read somewhere that Dutch still had cases up until a hundred or so years ago when people realised that nobody was bothering anymore.

The easiest way to spek German is to take an English sentence and then basically say it backwards and ennunciate every letter
            Sometimes try I English in German word order to speak. I find that, it me with my German Speaking helps.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Why would the Germans want 2nd rate British people?
              Ask Scooters boss...
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You jokers must sound as convincing as an 'Elllo 'Ello production in Cleethorpes.

Originally posted by Herr Flick
                A German joke is no laughing matter
                True enough, Flick.

Comment

On Wednesday with my wife and children I travel to the airport not.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Mark Twain's take on it "The Awful German Language".

"Personal pronouns and adjectives are a fruitful nuisance in this language, and should have been left out. For instance, the same sound, sie, means you, and it means she, and it means her, and it means it, and it means they, and it means them. Think of the ragged poverty of a language which has to make one word do the work of six -- and a poor little weak thing of only three letters at that. But mainly, think of the exasperation of never knowing which of these meanings the speaker is trying to convey. This explains why, whenever a person says sie to me, I generally try to kill him, if a stranger."
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X