• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germany’s trade surplus is a threat to global stability, and must be fixed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Could someone please explain why the UK doesn't have a trade surplus?
    Because we can't produce our own Prosecco, and we don't make BMW convertibles. Otherwise we'd be fine.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Because we can't produce our own Prosecco, and we don't make BMW convertibles. Otherwise we'd be fine.
      Nice try but not quite true:

English sparkling wine beats champagne in Paris blind tasting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_(...009_to_2015.29

(Actually the Mini Convertible might now be produced in Holland, not too sure about that)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        What that chart does not show is the devaluation of the pound against other major currencies. George's QE has made everyone poorer.
        Indeed.

This probably sums up Brexit in a single chart!
        Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 17 April 2017, 08:46.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          All spending should have been reduced pro-rate by 10% over 5-10 year period, that would have given nice budget proficit.
          I'm all for taking away all soft benefits and means testing the rest.

Why a boomer in a 6 bed detached on 3 acres needs heating allowance is beyond me!

Comment

When you consider that chart above, it's not just that Brits have suffered a -10% wage growth but they now find themselves with a difference of 25% wage growth compared to some of their EU counterparts. 25%

I'm not sure what the UK's game plan is but I hope it works out for them!
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Why a boomer in a 6 bed detached on 3 acres needs heating allowance is beyond me!
              Often, means testing is more expensive than just giving the money away to everyone, no questions asked.

Comment

Means testing is totally wrong - it costs money and most importantly cuts off those who pay tax to support the system in the first place.

Comment

Means testing is totally wrong - it costs money and most importantly cuts off those who pay tax to support the system in the first place.
                  Tie it to council tax band then. If you are in a high band - you are rich. So no winter fuelZ
                  Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 17 April 2017, 16:27.

Comment

Tie it to council tax band then. If you are in a high band - you are rich. So no winter fuelZ
                    Your envy will consume you

Comment

Your envy will consume you
                      Lol. All I'm saying is if you live in a massive house then you clearly are wealthy enough not to need heating allowance..

Comment

Working...
                      X