• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tubers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubers

Afternoon All,

I've got a 100 seed potatoes in the garage and the tubers are coming on very well.

They'll be in the ground in two week's time.

Anyone else planting potatoes this year

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.

I believe Paddy and his cousin darmstadt (both shown above) might have plans in that direction.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      Afternoon All,

I've got a 100 seed potatoes in the garage and the tubers are coming on very well.

They'll be in the ground in two week's time.

Milan.
      Nah, my potato patch is sprouting from last year's growth.

I planted ten pots of chives in a flower bed last week, and they're doing well.

But not one of my Buddleia globosa seems to have germinated, unless they are hidden among the weeds in my pots. Trouble is, how does one tell the difference? They all look the same!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Yes, some earlies in the ground last week.

But only 'cos we're selling up and neat rows of stuff growing make a better impression than a bare plot. Spuds are a good example of the grow your own fallacy, just when you're harvesting your veg, it is at its cheapest in the shops. Spuds are about 10p per kilo in season, and I personally cannot tell any difference in flavour between farm and home grown.

Having said that I do grow herbs, salads, chillies, tomatoes, asparagus and various berries, for the flavour & freshness.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Nah, my potato patch is sprouting from last year's growth.

I planted ten pots of chives in a flower bed last week, and they're doing well.

But not one of my Buddleia globosa seems to have germinated, unless they are hidden among the weeds in my pots. Trouble is, how does one tell the difference? They all look the same!
          Easy. The Buddlia will be over 10' tall by september!

Comment

Never really grown much in the way of spuds, except some blue/purple ones for a laugh.
            Surprising how offputting bluish/purplish mash is....

My favourite though is peas straight from the pod. They never get as far as the scullery.
            Need to succession sow them, otherwise they'll all come at once ( ooeer).

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
              Easy. The Buddlia will be over 10' tall by september!
              WHS

You are suppose to prune (hack) Buddleia back to one -two feet every spring as it grows like a weed.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had enough of planting potatoes back in USSR, fecking queues too

Comment

I had enough of planting potatoes back in USSR
                  To make vodka with I presume?

Only potatoes I've got are the ones sprouting in the compost heap. Might be edible but there's some dead birds there too.

PS Poor little birds I've found in the garden, probably that have hit the window, not birds in the colloquial sense. I keep my dead prostitutes in the freezer, that way I can thaw them out and use them occasionally.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    To make vodka with I presume?

Only potatoes I've got are the ones sprouting in the compost heap. Might be edible but there's some dead birds there too.

PS Poor little birds I've found in the garden, probably that have hit the window, not birds in the colloquial sense. I keep my dead prostitutes in the freezer, that way I can thaw them out and use them occasionally.
                    Xog, Vodka is a grain spirit. If you're making it with spuds, you're going wrong. Re. the rest of your post, you're also going wrong, but I so can't help with any of that. Except to humbly suggest you should never re-freeze once thawed. Hope this helps.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X