• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post Brexit Exodus from Britain ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Begs the question though, who of the indigenous population is going to roll up their sleeves and do the jobs these people did for the money they were paid ?

Milan.
    It will probably revert to what it was like before they came. It will cost you more to get a shower plumbed in. But you will be able to get a doctors appointment in less than three weeks if you live in Slough. That's the whole point, isn't it? Indigenous workers will see a pay increase due to supply and demand- that's good for them. People like us will learn DIY again, like our fathers did.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I agree. Let's start with pensions.
      Pensions are soft hanging fruit.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        But you will be able to get a doctors appointment in less than three weeks if you live in Slough.
        Assuming the doctors don't also leave.

That's the whole point, isn't it? Indigenous workers will see a pay increase due to supply and demand- that's good for them.
        Assuming the same demand. Which is contradicted by:

People like us will learn DIY again, like our fathers did.
        So basically less economic activity overall, and less fun time meaning a lower quality of life overall.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Twofold improvements:
          1. Fewer handouts to people who are contributing nothing to society any more
          2. Reduced NHS expenditure, so we can send Dr Jonny Foreigner, Nurse Jonny Foreigner and all their foreigner children home since they are simultaneously taking all our jobs and claiming benefits.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

So basically less economic activity overall, and less fun time meaning a lower quality of life overall.
            So we stop importing a fix and home-grow it instead.

OK it takes time to train and recruit medical staff (and engineers). So we take some strategic leadership and make the investment now.

Cutting the stuff the NHS funds would help. There is a lot off silly nonsense being funded. Also charge £20 for a GP consultation, and £50 for a missed appointment.

This isn't rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              What I mean by this - is that the Gov will come after your pension pot - because they can - not because they should.

Comment

People like us will learn DIY again, like our fathers did.
                Oh no they won't.

You can't even replace a tap washer these days without it having to be being signed off in triplicate by some jobsworth busybody from your local council.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  Oh no they won't.

You can't even replace a tap washer these days without it having to be being signed off in triplicate by some jobsworth busybody from your local council.
                  yeah last year I was in John Lewis in Brisl and bought a couple of wall lights for Chateau Benes (on the mainland) and the man at John Lewis asked if I will be getting an electrician to install them !!! As it could affect house insurance and selling the house it the job is not done by a professional !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Twofold improvements:
                    1. Fewer handouts to people who are contributing nothing to society any more
                    2. Reduced NHS expenditure, so we can send Dr Jonny Foreigner, Nurse Jonny Foreigner and all their foreigner children home since they are simultaneously taking all our jobs and claiming benefits.
                    If you're not being sarcastic, I'm starting to like the way you think!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

You made a few assumptions there. Assume made an ass out of you and me.

The lower quality of life you comment on won't affect me because I semi-retired in the med at 40 a couple of years ago.

I dunno mate, maybe you could get a part time job in a bar in the evenings? Hope it's not a harsh winter - that would be too cruel, walking back and forth to that pub in the snow, to save money on petrol.

Comment

Working...
                      X