• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My next car will be a Nissan Qashqai

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's not how it works. As the one driving a couple of tonnes of metal at high speeds you're the one who has the responsibility to be vigilant. If a pedestrian stumbles into the road you're responsible to avoid them, same with lunatic cyclists. If you can't be observant for the dangers posed by careless fragile cyclists, you shouldn't be driving.
    What do you mean "that's not how it works?"

If cyclists take risks and ignore traffic lights, why is it the car's fault?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Point of order...

Car drivers, lorries, buses, bicycles, whatever - you are all road users and subject to the same rules. A pedestrian isn't (hint: that's why it's illegal to cycle across a zebra crossing among other things) so protecting them is your problem, whatever you're driving/riding.

If everybody followed the rules, then there would be a lot less carnage. Sadly, I've lost count of the number of bikes undertaking long vehicles on bends ("Hey, it's a cycle lane, move over...oops...). Ignoring red lights, junctions, crossings and other habits, while the preserve of a few dickheads with no brains or concerns for others, only serve to emphasise the problem.

The lack of self-awareness is the biggest issue. I came close to killing someone who rode out in front of me on a derestricted road, leaving me the choice of an full emergency ABS-assisted stop from 60 in about as many yards, hitting the hedge, hitting him or hitting the bus coming the other way. Luckily the brakes managed the job - just. He then had a go at me for scaring him...

Don't bitch about motorised traffic until you have educated the cycling fraternity to ride like the ones that don't get killed, don't hit pedestrians, don't stop round blind bends for a quick swig of their chosen rehydration therapy (and then dump the sachet on the grass) and don't shout at drivers for not stopping to let them pass unhindered.

Rant off...
      Last edited by malvolio; 11 April 2017, 11:53.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
        Which might lead to the point that if it's unsafe in a gust, when is it safe? A buffet from a passing van and before you know it......
        It's not actually that bad.

I just wouldn't want to cross the Severn Bridge on a windy day and find myself in a beam reach.

Comment

That's not how it works. As the one driving a couple of tonnes of metal at high speeds you're the one who has the responsibility to be vigilant. If a pedestrian stumbles into the road you're responsible to avoid them, same with lunatic cyclists. If you can't be observant for the dangers posed by careless fragile cyclists, you shouldn't be driving.
          I think the point here is that while the car driver is profusely apologising to the judge, the cyclist is slowly decomposing in the morgue.

Comment

That's not how it works. As the one driving a couple of tonnes of metal at high speeds you're the one who has the responsibility to be vigilant. If a pedestrian stumbles into the road you're responsible to avoid them, same with lunatic cyclists.
            Up to a point, but if cyclists or anyone for that matter put themselves in harm's way by jumping red lights (which is what LondonManc referred to), only so much evasive action is or can be reasonably expected of drivers.

It's the same as cyclists undercutting lorries and buses to turn left (in the UK) - They know, or should know, the risks, and if the driver can't see them then that's simply the cyclists' hard luck.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Funny, all I can see is a total
              I immediately thought of the man in the boat, but there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                I immediately thought of the man in the boat, but there you go.
                Quite understandable.

Another thing that would quickly come to mind

Although I did find this when searching for the term, also

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 11 April 2017, 12:29.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

dooohg loves to champion the underdog, in this case cyclists.

He'd make a wonderful defence barrister (or so he doubtless thinks).
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You could always try getting off your feckin' bike and walking with it.

You are the sort of tosspot that comes by on the path splashing mud over everyone because you are just too selfish to dismount.
                    Its called being polite.

Obviously something you know nothing about.
                    Yes the bike could slow to a halt, the cyclist could dismount and walk. Or you could take one small step to the side. It's called being polite I think your manufactured outrage is pretty silly this time... runners and cyclists should weave around pedestrians but should also make them aware of their presence.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

It's called the law innit? You have more visibility, more control and are the one who will be injuring the cyclist/pedestrian so the onus is on you to be aware of dangerous cyclists. In reality if a cyclist does something stupid and you run them over, how are you going to feel? Will you be fine because it wasn't your fault, or will you be traumatised because regardless of fault, you squished a person under your wheels?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

blah...
                      It's called the law innit?
                      No it isn't. Or it is if you make no attempt to avoid injuring or killing the idiot who just appeared in front of you without warning. If you fail, at least you tried, but I personally wouldn't feel guilty about it. Alternatively, if you stop on a red light, just stay where you are in case some suicidal moron fancies trying his luck.

When said morons take responsibility for their own actions, then we will have some sympathy for them. Until then they will get treated as the unpredictable mobile hazards they represent - and drag the 95% of perfectly well behaved cyclists down with them..
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X