• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Whenever I google about buying bitcoins, lots of articles appear. When I google selling or using, very few show up.

What am I missing?
    Buying bitcoins: About 513,000 results (0.63 seconds)
    Selling bitcoins: About 486,000 results (0.78 seconds)

One of the first articles found when googling "selling bitcoins", from a popular exchange:

https://support.coinbase.com/custome...h-out-bitcoin-

Comment

My experiences - 3 months.

Bought about £1000 worth of various - bitcoin, eth, ripple, sia, monero, verge, digibyte, reddcoin.
      Also stuck £10 of my pension into a but coin tracker.

Lost a bit on the currency for a while but its recovering a bit now. Still about £100 down.

Pension though - I've made £3000 profit so far.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Pension though - I've made £3000 profit so far.
        No, unrealised gain.

Comment

If I was using my pension, I'd probably take out the profit, leaving whatever you were origininaly willing to risk. Then rinse and repeat.

I've been playing with day trading as I don't have much to put in to be worth buying and holding. Started with about £160, small profit and a few losses on some trades, so about even. Until yesterday when I made a huge gain on ripple, leaving me about £30 up overall. So up about 20% up after 1 week. Would be great to keep that up each week.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            If I was using my pension, I'd probably take out the profit, leaving whatever you were origininaly willing to risk. Then rinse and repeat.

I've been playing with day trading as I don't have much to put in to be worth buying and holding. Started with about £160, small profit and a few losses on some trades, so about even. Until yesterday when I made a huge gain on ripple, leaving me about £30 up overall. So up about 20% up after 1 week. Would be great to keep that up each week.
            What's your risk management strategy? How much % of your account are you risking on each trade?
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              What's your risk management strategy? How much % of your account are you risking on each trade?
              I'm just messing around really as it's all new to me. I'm not dedicating a huge amount of time on it.

I tend to put 4 or 5 trades on per day of between 10 to 25% of my total. If I'm not able to monitor the market I'll put a couple of stop limit orders for something like a 10-20% loss and a big gain. Or just keep an eye on it for a few hours and cut my losses if it goes down and scale out my profits if it's going up.

Comment

Would not bother with day trading, nearly always loose. However that said I'll make weekly decisions about what I'm holding. Read about up and coming events or news.

If you're looking for ideas of what to invest in try: https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/XLMBTC/ and check out the ideas section on the right. I choose to follow a few traders as they spend all day predicting trends. They've made me a lot of money. In one case €6k in the last 24 hours to be exact.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I said I'd report on my experience with Genesis mining. Well, I haven't had my first payout yet as there's a 30 day waiting period on credit card orders, however the coins are appearing in my virtual account.

I made an initial purchase of 0.7 TH/s open-ended for USD105, then when that appeared to be working a further 7.5 TH/s at USD 1050. Total investment around 887 GBP

Genesis enables you to allocate your hashpower to a variety of different cryptos and for no good reason I split mine 50/50 Bitcoin and Litecoin.

How am I doing? There's a few days lag in reporting, however as of end of play on Tuesday I had mined
                  0.84537235 Litecoin, and 0.01264383 Bitcoin, over 22 days. A back of the envelope calculation estimates these to be worth just under 80 GBP.

So my 'investment' is making around £3.60/day, an APR of around 140%. Payback in around 240 days.

Of course, this rate will drop over time as difficulties increase, and these coins are sitting in the Genesis account, not my wallet yet - there are some slightly worrying posts on their website and Facebook page about 'payout difficulties' - however so far I'm tentatively calling the experiment a success. The more hashpower you buy, the cheaper it gets, so I may scale up....

Probably easier to just buy some on bittrex, tho
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

How much extra power are you pulling while mining instead of being in sleep mode?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I should maybe have explained: you buy hashpower on Genesis's rigs, which are somewhere with cheap electricity and a cold climate ...

https://www.genesis-mining.com/our-offer
                      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                      X