• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, as Scooter sagely advised, I've done some research (I even bought a book).

Short version, crypto, and especially the blockchain technology, is a fascinating new development, made possible by related advances in encryption, networking and computer power. It reminds me of my early days as a developer when we needed to squeeze the life out of every CPU cycle and byte of RAM. As an investment there is probably considerable upside remaining, though the early adopter advantage is largely behind us. The risks are also large, probably no free lunch.

Dipping my toe in I discovered:

- Mining at home. Unless you have a dedicated rig, forget it. You're competing with those that do. I downloaded 'Nicehash', a service that determines the best algorithm for your hardware and pools the results. After running it for 24 hours on 2 reasonably high spec GPU boxes it had accumulated 21p worth of BTC. If you're using your own wallet you have to wait until you have mined .01 BTC (about £21), before payout, which it projects will happen in early October. It doesn't cripple the PC but the fan is running flat out. Much as I like the idea of my hardware whirring away and making me money 'in the background', the electricity cost and increased wear on components almost certainly negates the already tiny profit. I'd rather use my PC for the purposes it was acquired for.

- Cloud mining. I've invested some play money in an open-ended contract with Genesis mining, this bought me 0.7 TH/s which I can allocate to my favourite algorithms as I wish. No payouts yet, I'll report back on profits (if any) when the money starts flowing (if it does). Genesis seem not to publish their mining stats so it's an act of faith that they are actually doing any mining and sharing the proceeds fairly. Also, although the contract is open ended, there is a maintenance fee and as difficulties increase, there will come a point at which the fees outweigh the profits and the contract will be cancelled. Or or course, it could be a massive scam.

Which leads me to conclude that the money to be made, if any, is in simple speculation, buying low, and selling at a profit (Doh!). I'm just starting to DMOR on this, thanks to Scooter, Drei and others for pointers. The volatility, lack of any guarantees or regulation, the fact that your assets are entirely virtual, the fraud and scandals (Mt Gox) indicate to me an immature market with huge risk. Having said that, I'm convinced that the technology will pay a large part in the future of finance and other industries and I'd like some in my portfolio, even if its just the wimp's choice of a few £K worth of Bitcoin.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
      What about BNT...

https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/bnt/overview/USD

So a while ago I posted some guy's wallet info, was at $780k... now it is at $380k.
      hoo lee flock - that's gotta hurt. Was a 80k better off last month myself.. but that is mahusive.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        hoo lee flock - that's gotta hurt. Was a 80k better off last month myself.. but that is mahusive.
        Volatility.

an immature market with huge risk
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I think bitcoin is about to crash bang wallop - amount of sell orders is insane.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I think bitcoin is about to crash bang wallop - amount of sell orders is insane.
            Nah just people scared about the hard fork....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Wowzers bought Num at the right time. As Goose once said, we're going ballistic.

Comment

Why didn't you take your own advice and sell high and now buy low?!
                Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 1 August 2017, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  Why didn't you take your own advice and sell high and now buy low?!
                  Give me a crystal ball and I'll do exactly that!

I'm a bought into the ideas and they've made me plenty. Happy to hold for more.

Comment

Massive bets on today. After the bitcoin fork Bitcoin cash appeared and suddenly it has a market capital of 7 billion overnight. - without any development news or adopted users. In fact a number of exchanges have publicly stated they'll not recognised it.

Bitcoin is only about $1billion different in market capital from a week ago so $6billion into Bitcoin cash is probably people betting.

There's going to be some insane hurt in the coming days.

Comment

Massive bets on today. After the bitcoin fork Bitcoin cash appeared and suddenly it has a market capital of 7 billion overnight. - without any development news or adopted users. In fact a number of exchanges have publicly stated they'll not recognised it.

Bitcoin is only about $1billion different in market capital from a week ago so $6billion into Bitcoin cash is probably people betting.

There's going to be some insane hurt in the coming days.
                      Dont really understand this. So if you had bitcoin yesterday then you automatically get same amount of bit coin cash? Is that right?

How do you get the bcc though? My bitcoin is stored in a green market wallet.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X