• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    2 - Any alt-coins worth mining? I have an Azure sub as part of my MS partner agreement (for the action pack) which is gathering dust....
    I was wondering if theres anything that can be mined on a laptop. I know it might not be economical in terms of power consumption vs coins mined, but I basically don't pay for the power to my laptop most of the time. Right now it's plugged in at clientco and in the evenings I can plug it in at the hotel.

I don't expect to earn anything life changing, but if I can get a few coins for no effort and cost I don't see why not.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
      Mining (especially in the UK) is a mugs game now, so difficult and time consuming to make decent cash unless you've got custom hardware and have tiny/no electricty costs (think a sub zero warehouse of noisy mining rigs in China)

Saw a recent YouTube vid of some UK guy who spent £2K+ on a custom 4GPU self build mining rig, after building it he calced that it would him take 2 years running 24/7 in the UK to make back the cost of the rig.

As I type this I'm just started an Ethereum (pool) miner on my laptop in a window in the background, thrashing the GPU.
      Look, I've just made cash out of thin air .. yipee. I'm a genuine miner - something else for the CV

ETH: 11/16/17-11:27:49 - New job from <snip>
      ETH - Total Speed: 19.611 Mh/s, Total Shares: 0, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:09
      ETH: GPU0 19.611 Mh/s
      GPU0 t=62C fan=0%
      ETH: 11/16/17-11:28:07 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
      ETH: Share accepted (110 ms)! <-- I've mined Ethereum, yipee !
      ETH: 11/16/17-11:28:11 - New job from <snip>
      ETH - Total Speed: 19.559 Mh/s, Total Shares: 1, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:10
      ETH: GPU0 19.559 Mh/s
      ETH: 11/16/17-11:28:14 - New job from <snip>
      ETH - Total Speed: 19.633 Mh/s, Total Shares: 1, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:10
      ETH: GPU0 19.633 Mh/s
      ETH: 11/16/17-11:28:27 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
      ETH: Share accepted (109 ms)! <-- I've mined Ethereum, yipee !

However the amount and rate of my earning is 'so low' and UK electricity costs so high (world relative) it will take me days running 24/7 on this lappy to afford a mars bar - plus my hardware will be shot.

But if I rent a warehouse in China and buy a shed load of custom rigs ..ummm..

What about an Azure VM that you don't pay for because it's included in your MS action pack subscription? Provided you can get it to stop if it exceeds allocated monthly bandwidth...

And mining smaller alt coins - for example ZEN
      Last edited by Jog On; 16 November 2017, 12:05.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

What about an Azure VM that you don't pay for because it's included in your MS action pack subscription? Provided you can get it to stop if it exceeds allocated monthly bandwidth...

And mining smaller alt coins - for example ZEN
        VM .. interesting idea.

Provided no bandwidth issues/costs ..
        Any TCP/IP port open/close limitations ?
        Any GPU/hardware usage/cost issues ? (GPUs get 'thrashed' when mining)

Comment

I paid for virtual mining with genesis mining a few months ago. $30 if I remember.

You can see it mining every day but the minimum payment is something like 0.05 ethereum (choose this for some reason). So 5 months in and I've not get anything yet but I've worked out I'm pretty close.

Saying that at todays ETH price of $330, 0.05 is only worth about $16.50. So if I get a payout twice in the year I've paid for it'll be $33 so profit of $3. Not great.

Unless the price of ETH goes up that is.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I'm thinking of mining the small alt-coins that could become bigger, kind of getting in there at the ground floor if it is even feasible with an Azure VM. No BTC or ETH or even LTC - those ships seem to have sailed as far as mining is concerned.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I'm thinking of mining the small alt-coins that could become bigger, kind of getting in there at the ground floor if it is even feasible
              All miners are in the same boat, looking for an easily mineable future whale.
              Easiest way (in theory) to make a mint mining is to create a new coin, pre-mine it yourself then ICO !

FYI, from a forum ..

"Q.I'm curious to know who, back in 2009 was mining and how many bitcoins could you mine per day with an average personal computer?"

A. I mined about 200btc with a pentium 4 pc in a couple of days."

£17m in today's money for that lucky guy/gal.

Comment

£1.1m surely?

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                  I was wondering if theres anything that can be mined on a laptop. I know it might not be economical in terms of power consumption vs coins mined, but I basically don't pay for the power to my laptop most of the time. Right now it's plugged in at clientco and in the evenings I can plug it in at the hotel.

I don't expect to earn anything life changing, but if I can get a few coins for no effort and cost I don't see why not.
                  After looking at this, it appears to be a terrible idea due to the demands it will place on the CPU/GPU. Maybe if I had a gaming laptop with a decent GPU that I wouldn't mind killing. Not gonna try it on my macbook pro.

Comment

All miners are in the same boat, looking for an easily mineable future whale.
                    Easiest way (in theory) to make a mint mining is to create a new coin, pre-mine it yourself then ICO !

FYI, from a forum ..

"Q.I'm curious to know who, back in 2009 was mining and how many bitcoins could you mine per day with an average personal computer?"

A. I mined about 200btc with a pentium 4 pc in a couple of days."

They probably bout a pizza with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                      Scooter, can you help me out with a question?

I wanted to get some Zencash so I bought some bitcoin on coinbase, transferred x amount to bittrex and now have zencash.

My question is, do I need a Zencash wallet? IF so, any advice on a suitable one?

I'm assuming that worst case, I can always convert back to BTC within Bittrex and then send back to Coinbase if I wanted to?

Alos, where was the tip on Dash?!

Thanks

You can keep them on Bittrex. However if you're holding for many months you might want to consider moving them to a wallet. Move a small amount at first to test address etc.

You can get a Zencash wallet from here for different OS's, https://github.com/ZencashOfficial/z...et-ui/releases

You want a tip? Ripple and American Express are doing business together. Word is this coin will hit $2 in the next 6 months.

https://twitter.com/coindesk/status/931145355818946560
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X