• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No signed 'future' Brexit deal within two years, says Theresa May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    At the end of the day they're making a trade off between the loss of popularity that comes from immigration, and the probably greater loss of popularity that would come from an economic collapse. The public may stomp their feet a bit at the former, but ultimately people care more about their livelyhoods.

If drastically reducing immigration is really what the people want, then surely UKIP will win in 2020. I think it's more likely that the people will have got bored with the political fantasy ride that is Brexit and the election will be fought on not wasting any more time on it. And that'll mean the interim single market/freedom of movement deal will stick.
    How on earth did the UK cope prior to the year 2000? You're basically stating that it uncontrolled immigration or economic Armageddon and nothing in-between?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      I was under the impression that Blair 'open our borders' because he - incorrectly - was under the impression that all these extra people would vote Labour? Unfortunately the law of unintended consequence meant it cost Labour more in lost votes through pi55ing off its core vote.

So, I would suggest it's a fairly stupid government that thinks it can continue doing this forever - for big business' benefit or otherwise. Brexit was a result of several factors and this was one of them. People (the plebs) get to a point where they've had enough, even in the quite reserved UK.
      Ironic that UK will probably lose Scotland, the oil industry, a significant part of the manufacturing industry, significant part of it's finance industry and a significant cut in wages and there will still be "mass immigration". The referendum was a vote on leaving the EU, not immigration.

If your spark plugs don't work, smacking the carburettor with a hammer won't fix it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If your spark plugs don't work, smacking the carburettor with a hammer won't fix it.

I suspect SAS would think it would.

Ps. Carburettor? What on earth do you drive?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Ironic that UK will probably lose Scotland, the oil industry, a significant part of the manufacturing industry, significant part of it's finance industry and a significant cut in wages and there will still be "mass immigration". The referendum was a vote on leaving the EU, not immigration.

Why would migrants want to come when the UK sinks?

If the car won't start you need to give it an inspection and maybe a little maintenance.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

How on earth did the UK cope prior to the year 2000? You're basically stating that it uncontrolled immigration or economic Armageddon and nothing in-between?
            Certainly didn't say that. Just saying that getting too tough on immigration will likely result in a reduction of GDP, and ultimately people care about that more. If I'm wrong go ahead and elect UKIP. Hopefully I'll have left the country by then.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Why would migrants want to come when the UK sinks?

If the car won't start you need to give it an inspection and maybe a little maintenance.
              There seems to be a bit of a divide here. I think you'll find that CUK remainers don't live in the UK, planning to leave and/or weren't born here.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Certainly didn't say that. Just saying that getting too tough on immigration will likely result in a reduction of GDP, and ultimately people care about that more. If I'm wrong go ahead and elect UKIP. Hopefully I'll have left the country by then.
                I think people would be happy to go back to the situation prior to 2000. Does that count as 'getting tough'?

Comment

There seems to be a bit of a divide here. I think you'll find that CUK remainers don't live in the UK, planning to leave and/or weren't born here.
                  WHat about the 48% of the country who voted to stay? DO they all fall into one of those categories?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    WHat about the 48% of the country who voted to stay? DO they all fall into one of those categories?
                    Are you having trouble with the term CUK?

Comment

Are you having trouble with the term CUK?
                      What's the point exactly of CUK in this context?
                      One thing seems clear, in CUK as in the wider world, it's the less cognitively gifted who've voted for Brexit.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X