• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Full extended list of all real benefits of brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I think we're being pragmatic when we say that putting a spoke in open trading with the largest and richest market in the world (together with the US) which happens to be on our doorstep and to which we are currently reliant on 45% of goods exports and about 60% of services, without having anything else in place, apart from vague dreams of "free trade deals" with tiny economies like Canada or Australia which currently have less than 5% of our trade, WAS A FOOKING STUPID THING TO DO.

HTH, BIKIW
    Why does good trade have to come with all the baggage?

The Canadians, Koreans, and Singaporeans have decent FTAs without all the tulip.

That's what I'd like for us too.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I think we're being pragmatic when we say that putting a spoke in open trading with the largest and richest market in the world (together with the US) which happens to be on our doorstep and to which we are currently reliant on 45% of goods exports and about 60% of services, without having anything else in place, apart from vague dreams of "free trade deals" with tiny economies like Canada or Australia which currently have less than 5% of our trade, WAS A FOOKING STUPID THING TO DO.

HTH, BIKIW
      It was. The only way out of this is elections/ another referendum once the brexit deal is on the table. May saying theres no turning back makes it unlikely though

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        You mean Scotland

Don't you worry my son. There’s enough Scots on the right side for it not to be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

The Canadians, Koreans, and Singaporeans have decent FTAs without all the tulip.

It doesn't. SASGuru is just worried about losing a few bob.

Comment

The benefit to the UK fishing industry will be minimal without a free trade agreement with the rEU.

Anyone who knows anything about the fishing industry knows how much of the UK catch is sold to france, Spain and Italy. people in the UK eat processed fish. The exotic (ie expensive) stuff only sells here in small quantities.

Celebrity prawn fisherman, Jimmy Buchan (TV Trawlermen) came out loudly about 'taking back control' of UK waters. A bit silly for a guy who spends half his time in Norwegian waters and sells 90% of his catch to Europe. As things stand, catch can be loaded and delivered to processors in the late afternoon, fisherman gets paid and the catch is in restaurants all over Europe by morning. How are they going to offset 'taking back control' when 90% of the market disappears ??
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              It doesn't. SASGuru is just worried about losing his pocket money.
              FTFY
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                The benefit to the UK fishing industry will be minimal without a free trade agreement with the rEU.

Anyone who knows anything about the fishing industry knows how much of the UK catch is sold to france, Spain and Italy. people in the UK eat processed fish. The exotic (ie expensive) stuff only sells here in small quantities.

Celebrity prawn fisherman, Jimmy Buchan (TV Trawlermen) came out loudly about 'taking back control' of UK waters. A bit silly for a guy who spends half his time in Norwegian waters and sells 90% of his catch to Europe. As things stand, catch can be loaded and delivered to processors in the late afternoon, fisherman gets paid and the catch is in restaurants all over Europe by morning. How are they going to offset 'taking back control' when 90% of the market disappears ??
                Are Europe to stop eating fish? Oddly, the fishermen I met were totally chuffed by Brexit. I was on this site last week and they seem to disagree with you:

Scottish Fishermen’s Federation

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

You mean without the freedom of movement. Well you won't be happy in Singapore or Canada because they're both in Free Trade Areas where the main tenet is freedom of movement of skilled Labour. ASEAN is new but rules will be introduced to allow freedom of movement. In NAFTA it already exists.

Admittedly the EU goes further but then so does the freedom to trade. You can't have one without the other. If the UK is going to be signing FTA's it will be relaxing immigration controls.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 March 2017, 10:28.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    You mean without the freedom of movement. Well you won't be happy in Singapore or Canada because they're both in Free Trade Areas where the main tenet is freedom of movement of skilled Labour. ASEAN is new but rules will be introduced to allow freedom of movement. In NAFTA it already exists.

Admittedly the EU goes further but then so does the freedom to trade. You can't have one without the other. If the UK is going to be signing FTA's it will be relaxing immigration controls.
                    No one has ever said the UK should not allow free movement of people with skills the UK needs.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Are Europe to stop eating fish? Oddly, the fishermen I met were totally chuffed by Brexit. I was on this site last week and they seem to disagree with you:

Scottish Fishermen’s Federation
                      Don't think I said Europe would stop eating fish. I said that without a free trade agreement with rEU, the benefits would be minimal. Fish sitting at customs ports for days doesn't do it a lot of good. When premium products cease to become premium products because they're not fresh then they lose value.

It is something I know a bit about. I own a prawn creel boat which has other guys working it. Catch is picked up every two days (alive) and lands in restaurants next morning. The wholesale price to EU buyers is higher than the retail price in the UK. If you can't deliver the catch in that kind of condition without barriers then it loses value and profit decreases. It's not rocket science.

If we have a completely tariff and customs barrier free agreement with the EU, then it will be a be hunky dory.
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X