• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear EU,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    That was very simplistic.
    Speaking of simpletons ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Speaking of simpletons ...
      63 cretinous posts so far. 937 until the next intelligent" one.

Comment

Only cretins beat a simplistic analogy to within an inch of its life.
        No point coming up with an analogy if you don't like the potential retort. Comparing the EU with a consumer service is daft. If I phone up the AA, Sky, EE or whoever to cancel, chances are they'll offer me something amazing to stay.

The EU, with very little to offer, may choose to resort to punishment instead. Beating with a stick rather than dangling the carrot. The EU shouldn't need to resort to that.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          No point coming up with an analogy if you don't like the potential retort. Comparing the EU with a consumer service is daft. If I phone up the AA, Sky, EE or whoever to cancel, chances are they'll offer me something amazing to stay.

The EU, with very little to offer, may choose to resort to punishment instead. Beating with a stick rather than dangling the carrot. The EU shouldn't need to resort to that.
          Right... so leaving the EU, Britain should be offered a better deal than it already had, even though it's made it quite clear that "Brexit is Brexit" , "We will respect the will of the people" and "we're leaving, end of".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Dear EU,

In some ways the EU reminds me of the Church of Scientology.

It's the evangelism. The belief that there is only one acceptable way to save the universe...

Try and leave and they are all 'why are you leaving, what are you saying, this is all lies...'
            Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 29 March 2017, 13:08.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

But what about when the AA changes its rules, so that it gets to tell us how to drive, where to park. And then further down the line starts telling us which shed we're allowed in the garden and which brand of beans to buy in the supermarket. Oh, and you have to transfer the deeds of your house to them and allow them to come and shag your wife. And that not only do we have to pay the cost of our membership, but that there are a load of members driving Yugos and Ladas and we should probably pay for their cars to be fixed and let them drive ours at the same time.
              I knew I should have read those change of T&Cs letters.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                In some ways Brexitism reminds me of the Church of Scientology.

It's the evangelism. The belief that there is only one acceptable way to save the universe...
                FTFY.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

So we join the AA because we want them to come and recover our car when it breaks down.

But what about when the AA changes its rules, so that it gets to tell us how to drive, where to park. And then further down the line starts telling us which shed we're allowed in the garden and which brand of beans to buy in the supermarket. Oh, and you have to transfer the deeds of your house to them and allow them to come and shag your wife. And that not only do we have to pay the cost of our membership, but that there are a load of members driving Yugos and Ladas and we should probably pay for their cars to be fixed and let them drive ours at the same time.

i.e. they go beyond the remit of what you wanted in the first place.

Isn't it right that we say "sod off"? And when we do, they threaten to take the engine and the steering wheel of our car with them? And every other AA member has to agree how we leave?

All we ever wanted was for them to fix our car or tow it to the nearest garage.
                  The UK only accepted the rules it wanted. If you look carefully you'll notice they're not in the Euro, they also opted out of lot of other stuff as well like Schengen. They opted out of the social chapter as well and then opted in. They could no doubt have opted out of that again if they'd wanted.

The EU expansion was a British invention, this is probably the key reason the UK wants out. The freedom of movement was there from the very beginning of the EU, right from 1974 any EU citizen had the right to go and work anywhere in the rest of the EU, it didn't "develop" or was thrust upon the UK.

So a better analogy is to be in the AA, pick and choose only the stuff you want, bulldoze your changes through and then leave in a huff because you don't like what you've done.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

No point coming up with an analogy ...
                    I didn't. Comparing the EU to the AA is quite nonsensical.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                      Yes. If you buy AA cover for your car then you are in. If you don't, you aren't. (Other breakdown organisations are available). If they force you to pay for AA cover, then it's a dictatorship.

Are we "Forced to pay". Or do we actually have a choice?
                      I didn't. Comparing the EU to the AA is quite nonsensical.
                      The culprit.

Comment

Working...
                      X