• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marine A gets out in 2 weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having seen the footage of the killing this makes me really uncomfortable. It was a cold blooded killing and what our law is saying is the only human life that has real value is those on our side. Executing enemy fighters is not right whatever the reason or cause.

Thankfully our emergency services personal showed more humanity last week by trying to save the life of the human who took life at Westminster. Khalid Masood may also well have been mentally ill (I mean, clearly he was to do what he did) yet we vilify him and his actions, but say it's Ok for one of our soldiers to do something equally as disturbing.

We will only ever get on together on this planet once we start to value all human life, respect the different views of others and just live and let live. Too much money in war and strife, so can't see that happening too soon though
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

SO we are all pretty happy he is a convicted criminal and is now serving the rest of what is a very severe sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        SO we are all pretty happy he is a convicted criminal and is now serving the rest of what is a very severe sentence?
        Seems fair if he broke the law.

What's your view of British soldiers allegedly involved in deaths in NI?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Having seen the footage of the killing this makes me really uncomfortable. It was a cold blooded killing and what our law is saying is the only human life that has real value is those on our side. Executing enemy fighters is not right whatever the reason or cause.

Thankfully our emergency services personal showed more humanity last week by trying to save the life of the human who took life at Westminster. Khalid Masood may also well have been mentally ill (I mean, clearly he was to do what he did) yet we vilify him and his actions, but say it's Ok for one of our soldiers to do something equally as disturbing.

We will only ever get on together on this planet once we start to value all human life, respect the different views of others and just live and let live. Too much money in war and strife, so can't see that happening too soon though
          ah an Apples / Pears comparison.

You equate a group of soldiers in a hostile territory with little backup on a mission to kill insurgents killing a fellow combatant (not a civilian) who had been armed with an automatic weapon and had tried to kill them he had succeeded with a few.

With a Paramedic in the middle of London surrounded by armed Police trying to save a terrorist's life who had killed & injured many civilians.

Note the Armed Police had already fatally shot the chap carrying a knife that killed their colleague , maybe they should have offered counselling instead?

not sure how they are similar.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think there's good arguments for saying he should never have been convicted for murder, because it was a war and it's pretty naive to suggest wars shouldn't involve killing. But it's not for those reasons, or the nationalistic reasons the CUK nutcases are gloating about that he's been let out. They've decided subsequently he was suffering from a mental illness, even though at the original trial he apparently wasn't.

So maybe we should cheer the greater recognition of mental illness.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Seems fair if he broke the law.

What's your view of British soldiers allegedly involved in deaths in NI?
              'allegedly'

They should be charged and tried but not incarcerated.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You equate a group of soldiers in a hostile territory with little backup on a mission to kill insurgents killing a fellow combatant (not a civilian) who had been armed with an automatic weapon and had tried to kill them he had succeeded with a few.

With a Paramedic in the middle of London surrounded by armed Police trying to save a terrorist's life who had killed & injured many civilians.

Note the Armed Police had already fatally shot the chap carrying a knife that killed their colleague , maybe they should have offered counselling instead?

Very similar .. in one, the enemy attacked and was shot and disarmed. In the other, the enemy attacked, was shot and disarmed. One group then chose to try and save the life of the human being, in the other example a choice was made to kill him even though he was now defenseless and unarmed.

It's sad that soldiers on both sides are used as puppets by the masters to commit their killings, but then the training both sides get takes away the humanity else they wouldn't be able to kill so easily for no cause or reason.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Ahh I was going to write that.

Plus medics are taught not to make judgements but just treat the person. In the case of the attacker as there were other people injured the paramedic may not of know whether it was the perpetrator or a bystander.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ignorantia juris non excusat.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Very similar .. in one, the enemy attacked and was shot and disarmed. In the other, the enemy attacked, was shot and disarmed. One group then chose to try and save the life of the human being, in the other example a choice was made to kill him even though he was now defenseless and unarmed.

It's sad that soldiers on both sides are used as puppets by the masters to commit their killings, but then the training both sides get takes away the humanity else they wouldn't be able to kill so easily for no cause or reason.
                      One Group were soldiers with no backup in very significant danger.

The others were non combatants protected by Soldiers & Police.

The Paramedics were in very little danger compared to the Soldiers. Note that doesn't mean I don't admire them.

Again answer the question I posed, what would you have done in Marine A's situation?

There are enough experienced soldiers on here to tell why it wouldn't work. I'm just an amateur.
                      Last edited by vetran; 28 March 2017, 13:49.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X