• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marine A gets out in 2 weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You know of a Taliban insurgent that has offered aid to the enemy? They don't seem too interested in the Geneva Convention.

If the Marine was going to die anyway and the Taliban's group behind enemy lines were at risk then killing him would be a sensible decision.
    So, because the Taliban act like animals it's Ok for us to act the same? Should we also be stoning people to death in Trafalgar Sq because someone doesn't have the same view as us (don't give NLUK ideas, you know what he's like with newbies who haven't spoken to their accountant!).? Should we be publicly beheading criminals?

The Geneva Convention is there to stop war crimes. Despite this, war crimes are still enacted but hopefully less than there would be without the convention in place.

This soldier made the wrong decision and to me it was a cold blooded killing. The law must decide how to class that killing, but whatever tag it gives it, it was still a cold blooded killing! And as said earlier, how would the frothing masses have reacted had that video been of an insurgent executing a defenseless British soldier? You all know the answer, yet when the shoe is on the other foot we act like it's Ok.

It's like a foreigner's life is worth less than a British life when all human life should be valued equally.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      So, because the Taliban act like animals it's Ok for us to act the same? Should we also be stoning people to death in Trafalgar Sq because someone doesn't have the same view as us (don't give NLUK ideas, you know what he's like with newbies who haven't spoken to their accountant!).? Should we be publicly beheading criminals?

The Geneva Convention is there to stop war crimes. Despite this, war crimes are still enacted but hopefully less than there would be without the convention in place.

This soldier made the wrong decision and to me it was a cold blooded killing. The law must decide how to class that killing, but whatever tag it gives it, it was still a cold blooded killing! And as said earlier, how would the frothing masses have reacted had that video been of an insurgent executing a defenseless British soldier? You all know the answer, yet when the shoe is on the other foot we act like it's Ok.

It's like a foreigner's life is worth less than a British life when all human life should be valued equally.
      I don't think that the situation could be described as cold-blooded. They were in a hotzone, having just engaged in a firefight ffs.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...cy-afghanistan

The Royal Marine convicted of murdering a wounded Taliban insurgent had been brutalised by the horrors of war in the "most dangerous square mile in Afghanistan" and had become paranoid that he was always the one being shot at, a court martial has been told.

Sergeant Alexander Blackman and the young marines under his control were effectively working behind enemy lines fighting insurgents that would have skinned them alive and beheaded them if they had captured them, his counsel told the court. He was tired and stressed, and also grieving following the death of his father just before his tour of Helmand began.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_operating_base

A forward operating base (FOB) is any secured forward military position, commonly a military base, that is used to support tactical operations. A FOB may or may not contain an airfield, hospital, or other facilities. The base may be used for an extended period of time
        AIUI The forward bit means it is in front of controlled territory as I understand it. Think a fort in Indian Country.

They did not have control of the area they were in. They were under continuous attack.

No it is not ok, which is why the soldier was tried and convicted. Its just he deserved the verdict he got not murder.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          I don't think that the situation could be described as cold-blooded. They were in a hotzone, having just engaged in a firefight ffs.
          armchair liberals for you.

They still haven't answered the questions I asked, what would you do? Why would it work?

Comment

They still haven't answered the questions I asked, what would you do? Why would it work?
            Impossible question to answer. Knowing what you think you'd do, or what you like to think you'd do is one thing.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Impossible question to answer. Knowing what you think you'd do, or what you like to think you'd do is one thing.
              Indeed that is the point, it is an impossible situation.

Yet all of them know that they wouldn't do what he did.

Comment

Indeed that is the point, it is an impossible situation.

Yet all of them know that they wouldn't do what he did.
                Well they are probably all experts at Call of Duty. And none of them have ever been within ballistic missile range of a warzone.

Not that this prevents them being egg-spurts.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I'd have shot the bastard as well, but I'd like to think I'd have had the presence of mind to turn my body-cam off first.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    I'd have shot the bastard as well, but I'd like to think I'd have had the presence of mind to turn my body-cam off first.
                    He did, his mate didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I must admit, I was beginning to think that I was the only one who'd had this thought as well. A point well made imho.

Comment

Working...
                      X