• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Dog kennel' flats in Barnet will be 40% smaller than Travelodge room

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I don't usually see a house wall like that with ventilation holes.

Must be a new design
    It's the only way suity could get his wifi working in the garden.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Post Brexit Prefab Britain

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        It's the only way suity could get his wifi working in the garden.
        Looking at his latest SQL Server "efforts" I'm surprised his WiFi works at all
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          As long as they're asbestos free, they're a viable alternative. Obviously they'll infringe a refugee's human rights though.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Ever been in a recently new built home? Cardboard walls, low ceilings, Rubbish materials used, etc etc
            You have clearly only been in the cr*p ones built by the big building companies.I've been in different ones.

Generally smaller developments of 2-4 houses built by a small developer are a much better quality than the likes of the multiple properties built by the big builders.

However this isn't always as some of the developments not far from me prove...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

used to be a wooden frame home builder called Gateway over Guildford way. They had a huge site & CNC routers 30 years ago. (Punch card driven).

They went bust but must have created lots of homes they were always busy.

Plenty of homes in the south are prefab partially wooden. In fact many of the oldest are made like that.

We had a house where half the walls were wooden frames, very easy to modify.

Properly maintained they are very good.

The dislike of prefabs no fire proof material is available prefabs make sense.

Assuming 9000 bricks in a house. Brickie with labourer laying 500 day (allow for other issues I know they can lay 800 a day) cost per day £350 (Brickie) £6,300 Labourer £150 £2,700, brick 40p £3,600 so total £12,600 chuck in Sand cement & project management say £15k.

So it takes a month to build the walls then we have to start doing floors, services & finishes.

If you spent the same on a prefab built in a factory you could have it up in a day.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                "Hundreds of tiny studio flats, many smaller than a budget hotel room, are to be squeezed into an eleven-story block in north London as its developer takes advantage of the government’s relaxation of planning regulations.

Plans for Barnet House, used by the London borough of Barnet’s housing department, reveal that 96% of the 254 proposed flats will be smaller than the national minimum space standards of 37 sq metres (44 sq yards) for a single person.

The tiniest homes will be 16 sq metres – 40% smaller than the average Travelodge room. They are legal because of government deregulation designed to promote the conversion of underused office space to help meet housebuilding targets.

In the surrounding area, studio flats of a similar scale to most planned at Barnet House sell for around £180,000 and rent for around £800 per month.

Office buildings in Croydon have also been converted into studios with floor areas of as little as 15 sq metres under the Tory deregulation. Housing experts have attacked the relaxation of planning regulations as a “race to the bottom”, but ministers insist the measure is helping to deliver vital new housing, and point out that more than 10,000 new homes were created from office buildings last year."

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ravelodge-room

From a mortgage point of view, when it comes to studios most lenders require a minimum of 30 sq metres. If the developer intends to sell on the open market, their clients may struggle to get the finance.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                  From a mortgage point of view, when it comes to studios most lenders require a minimum of 30 sq metres. If the developer intends to sell on the open market, their clients may struggle to get the finance.
                  Investment properties for overseas buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Investment properties for overseas buyers.

Would need to be cash as I can't see the offshore banks being all that keen to lend. My feeling is that they will be rented out via the local housing asociation or used as emergency temporary accomodation to help people get back on their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                      Would need to be cash as I can't see the offshore banks being all that keen to lend. My feeling is that they will be rented out via the local housing asociation or used as emergency temporary accomodation to help people get back on their feet.
                      They are too small for housing association properties. Housing associations have space standards. For example I've been in housing association properties that have storage cupboards there as the private flats don't.

Emergency accommodation for people yep, I agree with that.

I'm surprised they didn't just build student accommodation - then again can't think of any universities or colleges that are in Croydon.

Comment

Working...
                      X