• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit DOOM™: Parts of UK that voted for Brexit may be hardest hit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    You don't have to be in the EU to be in the EU Customs Union. Just ask Turkey.

Similarly, not all EU territories are in the Customs Union. Just ask Gibraltar.

That the UK already complies with EU regulations and the Great Repeal Bill will enshrine EU regulations into UK law directly, then there is no reason why we need to be outside the Customs Union.

The Customs Union does not even need to include everything, but what it does mean is delegating control of international trade agreements to the EU. The transitional deal could well be that we are free to set up our own international trade deals but if we do then any items within that trade deal become removed from our customs agreement with the EU. This allows politicians to spin that we are free from the EU shackles to create our own trade deals whilst in practice it would be stupid to do so.
    This sounds like Switzerland

In fact if you took the Swiss deal and renamed it "Red, white and Blue Brexit" it would tick all the boxes on the Brexiteers wish list, just they need to keep quiet that it is the same. In Switzerland they have "full control" over the immigration as you still have to get a resident permit "approved" by the immigration control. Of course the EU understand that as "freedom of movement" because it's just a rubber stamp, so with a bit of sweet talking to the editor of the Daily Express and appropriate elevation into the house of Lords, some spin and removal of students from the immigration statistics you will have "an end of freedom of movement" at least as far as the tabloid readers are concerned.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 March 2017, 11:35.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Do you have proof of that?
      It was point six in her Lancaster House speech on 17th January this year.

"Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement - one or two others do not - but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do."

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        It was point six in her Lancaster House speech on 17th January this year.

"Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement - one or two others do not - but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do."
        This isn't a decision one leader or the European commission can take without consulting 27 member states. Therefore it would require a summit. A summit is a very time consuming and expensive business, so it will be done with all the other "Brexit stuff".

The moral high stand doesn't really wash either with the Europeans in the UK or UK nationals in the EU. The only ones who get on a soap box about this, actually, couldn't give a sh*t about either groups, they're simply using it as propaganda.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Funny, isn't it. In the first speech on Brexit May said she wanted to guarantee EU works rights in the UK, however, it was the EU that were refusing to do likewise for workers like ScooterScot.
          As far as I Know EU is not commenting Brexit issues. I'm afraid that this is an excuse based on fear. EU have other problematic concerns to solve for now.

EU is becoming a crap by the division between the Northern and the Southern countries. The North with a bunch of cretins criticising the South with severe populist declarations, the UK is not a target in the agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            This isn't a decision one leader or the European commission can take without consulting 27 member states. Therefore it would require a summit. A summit is a very time consuming and expensive business, so it will be done with all the other "Brexit stuff".

The moral high stand doesn't really wash either with the Europeans in the UK or UK nationals in the EU. The only ones who get on a soap box about this, actually, couldn't give a sh*t about either groups, they're simply using it as propaganda.
            And therein lies the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              EU is becoming a crap by the division between the Northern and the Southern countries. The North with a bunch of cretins criticising the South with severe populist declarations, the UK is not a target in the agenda.
              Is this anything like North-South divide in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                As far as I Know EU is not commenting Brexit issues. I'm afraid that this is an excuse based on fear. EU have other problematic concerns to solve for now.

No one is forcing Portugal to stay. You could always leave.
                Would suit me personally since the new Escudo or whatever it is will be even more worthless than the pound.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Is this anything like North-South divide in the UK?
                  Only you can answer that.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    And therein lies the problem.
                    The UK needs to get it's own house in order, we don't even know whether there will be a UK even before the Brexit negotiations are over.

Seems to be a lot more unity than in the UK.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      No one is forcing Portugal to stay. You could always leave.
                      Would suit me personally since the new Escudo or whatever it is will be even more worthless than the pound.

Portugal is having another approach, we were the first ones to ask the Eurogroup's president (Jeroen Dijsselbloem jerk) for apologies and his resignation "e ir pregar para outra freguesia".

Comment

Working...
                      X