• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want a new washing machine?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see the advantage of it pinging you when its finished. However that could be done with a doorbell style remote.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I can see the advantage of it pinging you when its finished. However that could be done with a doorbell style remote.
      What's the point of pinging you when you aren't at home?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It is so you can put your clothes and soap in. Then when you are at work, time it to run so it spins and dries just before you get home.

Or you can do what everyone else does and manage without it as you aren't suppose to leave washing machines and dryers working unattended due to the risk of fires
        Ours has a "what time do you want it to finish" timer mode. Very useful. No internet required.

Some appliances I can see some useful aspects of IoT but not a washing machine. I suppose about the only thing would be to report faults and allow remote debugging/diagnostics/etc.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It is so you can put your clothes and soap in. Then when you are at work, time it to run so it spins and dries just before you get home.

Or you can do what everyone else does and manage without it as you aren't suppose to leave washing machines and dryers working unattended due to the risk of fires
          You mean like the one we have with a timer on it so that you can set it to come on at a specific time.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

What's the point of pinging you when you aren't at home?
            not much, but if you are out in the garden with a glass of wine waiting for it to finish its handy.

Comment

most white goods at Chateau Benes are Miele.

All bought at the same time when we had the house built 10 years ago.

The dishwasher had a problem in January, started making a strange sound, being a farmer I said it'll run 'till it breaks, nevertheless we got Miele in to have a look.

Chap turned up in his red van, and he had a Lenovo laptop with him.

Somehow, magnetically he connected something to the stainless steel front part of the machine (where the PC logo is) and amazing for a machine 10 years old he was able to control the whole machine from his laptop.

We told him the problem happens about 1hr into the 1.5hr cycle and I imagined he was going to have to sit there and wait, but no, with his laptop he was able to fast forward the wash cycle to the point where the problem was, diagnose the fault and order the parts and book a day to come back and fix it

How cool is that !

He also showed us that the machine had done 7,500hrs.

A German colleague said these Miele's even 10 years old like mine, the internal software is all written in Java !

Milan.

Comment

not much, but if you are out in the garden with a glass of wine waiting for it to finish its handy.
                We just need some washing machine / wine interoperability.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/28/11...sh-smart-wi-fi

The Kuvée Bottle is, without question, one of the most ridiculous Internet of Things devices I've ever seen. It's a Wi-Fi connected wine bottle with a touchscreen that needs to be constantly recharged and is only compatible with proprietary wine cartridges. In exchange for this hassle, it promises to keep wine fresh for up to 30 days. It's exactly the kind of absurd product the Internet of Things is deservedly mocked for, and yet I love it for that very reason.

This is the first product from Kuvée, a young startup out of Boston. There are really two parts to it: the bottle, and the wine cartridge that fits inside it, slid in through an opening at its base. When you put in a new cartridge, the bottle will detect what you're drinking and display a digital label on its touchscreen. It has everything you'd expect to find on a wine's label, like a logo, the grape, and alcohol content, plus a bunch of background information. You can also see photos of who made the wine, read pairing notes, and get full details on the wine's makeup. It'll even estimate how much wine you have left in the bottle.

Using the bottle's touchscreen, you can browse and purchase the other wines available through Kuvée. At launch, there are 48 wines from 12 wineries. "As wide of a variety that we can get," says Ed Tekeian, Kuvée's chief technology officer. For the most part, you'll be looking at wines in the $15 to $30 range, with some going as high as $50 (all sold in standard, 750ml bottles). Kuvée is aiming for the wine drinker who wants something better than Two Buck Chuck, but isn't regularly dropping money on fine, aged bottles. Because it's promising 30 days of freshness, Kuvée imagines that its customers might keep open a couple bottles at a time — maybe a red and a white.

Comment

That would spoil my enjoyment of the wine.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That would spoil my enjoyment of the wine.
                    not if that's your only job that day.

ping, load washing back to your book.

Comment

not if that's your only job that day.

ping, load washing back to your book.
                      And this is the problem. You're pissed, and then you try to load a machine already full with wet washing.

Comment

Working...
                      X