• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest train commute/ train in south east.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been doing 2 hrs journey each way since last 2 years. I guess you get used.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      This +1.

The 2 minute commute from the bathroom to the desk can be too much some days

In addition in another post PC mentions Accenture, I cannot see this working out well
      Holy crap!

This is indeed a worrying new trend.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I left the house at 4:30 this morning to get the 5:05 train from Manchester to London Euston. I'll stay over 3 nights and head home on Thursday evening, working from home on Friday.
        I woke up at 7.30am this morning.The commute downstairs to the office was strenuous, one of the kinder left their toy car on the stairs. Nearly took me out I tell you.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Now I hate driving (and getting stuck in traffic) and quite like it on a train. (IF you can get a seat and preferably no-one sitting next to you).

Been doing a 45-50 train each way for last two years. Train generally about 40% full. I sleep, read books, watch video, listen to music.

Considering a role in London. 1hr 45 by train. Pricing is nuts - £216 for a one off return or £234 for a weekly season. I think every day would be bit mad but it might be worth doing the trek home once/twice a week.

Anyone do similar? Am I living in a fantasy world though expecting trains into/out of london at peak times to be not rammed full?

Bugger driving though - even google maps is telling me up to 4 hours for the drive in the morning...

Tell you client what you told us. They'll be the ones that tell you you're mad and offer some home working.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

530am train is cheaper for me. Its any trains after that. Like I said though one day = £216, week = £234.

I would agree though every day is nuts. How long from manchester- london?
            Its under 2 hours for me - roll on electrification though - its going to cut a lot off this I hear.

Client is earls court area so not too bad.

British airways is offering return flights to London from Munich plus 2 nights hotel accommodation for..... wait for it..... €229

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I woke up at 7.30am this morning.The commute downstairs to the office was strenuous, one of the kinder left their toy car on the stairs. Nearly took me out I tell you.
              Useless. What's your address? I'll send rollerskates for the stairs.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                FFS waking up at 4.30? 4 hour commutes per day?
                That's not living, that's existing.
                Any commute more than an hour each way is not worth the candle IMO and would make me re-train/re-educate/move house/find another role.
                You get used to it. Up at 545, in office by 8. Leave 4 or 430 - home by 530 or 6.

See the kids before the youngest goes to bed. Not a problem. Bit tired come the weekend but bit of a lie in on saturday job done.

On train admitedly, 90 mins each way driving no thanks.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  This +1.

The 2 minute commute from the bathroom to the desk can be too much some days

In addition in another post PC mentions Accenture, I cannot see this working out well
                  Accenture is different role.... :-)

Comment

Accenture is different role.... :-)
                    I know you should never say never... but in the case of working with Accenture again it would be accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                      I know you should never say never... but in the case of working with Accenture again it would be accurate
                      Spepific reasons? P taking hours?

Comment

Working...
                      X