• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Goody they put their most reasonable negotiator on it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Firstly, the precedent has been set by Canada, with other deals in the making.

The more you do - the better you get - and the more common material can be reused. So I am confident that in principal the EU UK deal will be quicker.

Combine that with our already compliant position on regulations, again that makes the process easier.

I don't expect a FTA in 2 years, but I do anticipate it taking less than 10.

Let's say it takes 7 years.

For the 5 years until it gets there, we will IMHO have an interim 'business as usual' deal.

This seems to me to be the most likely outcome.
    How will the hard-line Brexiteers take another 7 years of free movement of labour across the EU?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      On the basis of the legal opinions we have considered we conclude that, as a matter of EU law, Article 50 TEU allows the UK to leave the EU without being liable for outstanding financial obligations under the EU budget and related financial instruments, unless a withdrawal agreement is concluded which resolves this issue.
      Oh Dear.
      You missed a bit:

However, the political and economic consequences of the UK leaving the EU without responding to claims under the EU budget are likely to be profound. If the UK wants a preferential trading relationship with EU, including a transitional arrangement, the EU partners may well demand a financial contribution post-Brexit.
      Enjoy your tariffs…

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        You missed a bit:

Enjoy your tariffs…
        More Enemy of the People talking-the-economy-down defeatism.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          How will the hard-line Brexiteers take another 7 years of free movement of labour across the EU?
          A necessary compromise I would postulate.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

A necessary compromise I would postulate.
            You think that's how they will take it? Or esteemed PM has painted herself into the corner of prioritising immigration over trade.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Ffs quit yer moaning . We're leaving thats it. You cretins had an unrealistic idea of British power, now we have to deal with it. It's getting dull, your sudden realisation that our cards aren't the best. Although we do have some.
              If only it was to do with cards. It is only politics.

Comment

Once upon a time, in a far far away land...
                FTYY
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Newsflash - not everyone can get their own way.

Perhaps after 7 years with the old man you are going soft.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Newsflash - not everyone can get their own way.

Perhaps after 7 years with the old man you are going soft.
                    But the Brexiteers have been promised free red white and blue unicorns. It's going to get uglier.

Comment

Oh Goody they put their most reasonable negotiator on it

You think that's how they will take it? Or esteemed PM has painted herself into the corner of prioritising immigration over trade.
                      The PM has outlined the starting position as has the EU.

Somewhere in the middle will be the conclusion (unless it all completely unravels due to too many cooks).

I think a deal is most likely. The UK will need to make some compromises. Perhaps a generous quota will be agreed over the interim period framed as a transitional break. Politicians on both sides don't want to lose face - but things can be dressed up and spun to suit both sides.

I don't have a crystal ball, this is just an an opinion.
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X