• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - Why is Belgium so complicated!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My proposal is to work as a UK limited company (1) through an UK agency (2) into a UK company (3) who OWN a Belgium based company (4).
    That chain means he should be fine using his LTD, IMO.

Obviously the 180 day rule would apply.
    It a bit like going abroad when working through a UK based consultancy, no?
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      That chain means he should be fine using his LTD, IMO.

Obviously the 180 day rule would apply.
      It a bit like going abroad when working through a UK based consultancy, no?
      Nope.

If you work for a UK based consultancy there are other directors and multiple employees who ensure that the permanent place of residence of the company is in the UK.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Still if he went this route?

That's what I was alluding to:-

My Ltd Co --> UK Intermediary (agent) --> UK company (travel as required for European client)
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I think the OP was researching this and saw that he could do it but the client wouldn't let him. The fact the client is refusing to do it this way indicates there is some tax issues which the OP isn't aware off.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I think the OP was researching this and saw that he could do it but the client wouldn't let him. The fact the client is refusing to do it this way indicates there is some tax issues which the OP isn't aware off.
            + we get told half a story, on many occasions
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              + we get told half a story, on many occasions
              Thanks MrMarkyMark and SueEllen. HMRC view is pay tax in local country and claim back through Foreign Tax Credit Relief on the uk self assessment, I'm ok with that. In the case of agency yes they got nervous as some of the work, the majority, would be done in Belgium. The biggest impact by far through all of this is the fact I will be unable to use the Ltd Co benefits in this country to best effect, I'm unsure what that means to dividend payments and largely have to pay the Belgian equivalent of PAYE on all the earnings - I am still however awaiting the proposition from the management company that sets out what my rate of tax is likely to be. That's just the tax! The Social Security side vs NI is still unclear as I type. Anybody any idea what the rate of tax would likely be? As this seems to me to be the holy grail of wading through the complexities.

Last thing I want to do is cheese off HMRC or their Belgian counterparts, so like I say, I'll operate within their view of the parameters but I'll not fall about laughing if the rate of tax & social security between the two countries overall comes out around 70%!

I'm actually looking forward to sending a post with the final outcome of all of this which I hope will be this week.

Comment

So why do people want to stay in the EU if such a simple process is massively overcomplicated? Doesn't sound like freedom of work and movement to me just when it comes to everyone else coming to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
                  So why do people want to stay in the EU if such a simple process is massively overcomplicated? Doesn't sound like freedom of work and movement to me just when it comes to everyone else coming to the UK.
                  Try taking a contract in the USA.

Comment

No, it's very straightforward. The OP made it complicated by only telling half a story and trying to do something the client didn't want.
                    There is freedom of work and movement for Belgium, unfortunately you have believed the lies and spin of the EDL/BNP/UKIP etc.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

OP describes Business to Business arrangements and has nothing to do with his personal freedom of work and movement inside the EU. Now imagine if OP had to add the mess of securing a Visa and sponsorship for said visa to the equation. Most likely result would have been instant drop of his application by the Client, no one likes hassle.

Comment

Working...
                      X