• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dubai and currency exchange.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dubai and currency exchange.

Off to Dubai soon, playground of the rich and famous so I guess most of you have been, own penthouse apartments by the beach and are on first names with the nobility over there.
    My more humble question is what to do for currency... change it here?, take sterling, euros, dollars and change it over there? Travellers Cheques?, use debit/credit cards over there?

Had a look online and the concensus seems to be you get better rates over there.

I reckon i'll need some cash for taxis, tips etc but will just whack the rest of it on the credit card (which I always pay off in full at the end of each month)?

For the best rates on CC you might want to look into WeSwap. Preload it with cash and convert to the currency you want, you can then use it as a debit card to take cash out locally or to pay for stuff directly.

I assume it supports UAE (dirhams is it?)

This is a referal link (we each get a fiver) if you're interested. Or just google it if you don't want to do that, it's a good service either way: http://swp.to/en/yap4825
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      For the best rates on CC you might want to look into WeSwap. Preload it with cash and convert to the currency you want, you can then use it as a debit card to take cash out locally or to pay for stuff directly.

I assume it supports UAE (dirhams is it?)

This is a referal link (we each get a fiver) if you're interested. Or just google it if you don't want to do that, it's a good service either way: http://swp.to/en/yap4825
      Cheers mate, on it and a fiver each is not to be sniffed at (will probably pay for a thimble of beer over there!)

Comment

Aah doesn't support Dhiram's otherwise would have been a goer

Comment

Worth having for less exotic destinations... Trying to remember what we did when we went there as we don't like to take loads of cash. Maybe it's one of those places everyone takes cards... as opposed to Tokyo where everyone uses cash which was quite weird as the UK moves more and more towards a cashless society.

Comment

I was there last week and just had a couple of credit cards (UK - Halifax Clarity & US - Chase Sapphire Reserve) that don't charge FX fees and no cash. If I needed cash I could use a debit card at an ATM which also doesn't charge FX fees. The only time I needed cash was for taxis at the airport although Uber & Lyft are both at the airport and can be picked up from the short stay car park (I found out after 5mins speaking to the driver on the phone trying to find me). It's very much a card friendly place as you can get pretty much everything on card without being charged any fees.

Not cheap for alcohol and most resturants (none that I went to) don't sell any so it's mainly at hotels which do cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

Fornication outside marriage is a no no. Leave the aspirin tablets at home. Oh yeah no drinking of alcohol in public places.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Basically don't act like a chav... don't slobber over each other in public, keep your boobs covered in public, don't drink in public... not hard really. Within the hotel grounds it's all relaxed e.g. on their beaches you can wear a bikini and drink a cocktail.

Comment

Working...
                X